The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   Penny & Nickel. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/penny-nickel-152352/)

paintgirl96 02-04-2013 05:21 PM

Penny & Nickel.

1 Attachment(s)
These beautiful mare's were never really mine. I watched them for *five* years. The first time I met them was definitely not a good "first impression". They were so scared, so skinny. But Penny, the mare on the left, trusted me, & within a day I had her tied up & getting burrs & tangles out of her mane & tail. By the end of that week Nickel would stand for me, but wouldn't let me halter her, so I didn't push her to do it. She stood quietely & let me do what I needed. As far as I knew, they were 8 when I started watching them, & had never been trimmed, had shots, or wormed. So I wormed them, & out of my own pocket, I got them both trimmed. (which was a pretty fun experience!) By the end of the five years, we were REALLY close. I could crawl under them, run around them, ride them bareback with *nothing* on them. Then I couldn't go see them for a week, one week, & I went back, & they were gone. The whole family, was gone. They even left the mare's yearling colts. (they looked the same as well, born two days apart, black, four stockings, blaze's) I waited for about a month for them to come back, feeding & watering the colts because they were in a 1/2 acre lot with nothing but dirt. They never came back. I ended up naming the colts Lightning & Thunder, because, as a twelve year old, what kinda names do you come up with? I never spoke to the people again, & I have yet to find the pretty girls. I tried to contact the owners for two weeks, then I gave up. I found a nice family to take the colts to their farm & to this day the owner still sends me pictures of the little colts, who are now measuring about 16.2 & pretty as ever, still stallions, & used for kids to trail ride on.
Attachment 128223

OutOfTheLoop 02-04-2013 05:23 PM

Those were born black?
Posted via Mobile Device

paintgirl96 02-04-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutOfTheLoop (Post 1878034)
Those were born black?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, their colts were born black.

OutOfTheLoop 02-04-2013 05:47 PM

Those supposedly are the colts...
Posted via Mobile Device

paintgirl96 02-04-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutOfTheLoop (Post 1878085)
Those supposedly are the colts...
Posted via Mobile Device

No, those are Penny & Nickel, the two mare's I watched for five years. I watched the colts after they disappeared.

OutOfTheLoop 02-04-2013 06:03 PM

Ahh ok, I read it as the pic was the colts. Do you have pics of the babies? I bet they were adorable.
Posted via Mobile Device

paintgirl96 02-04-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutOfTheLoop (Post 1878108)
Ahh ok, I read it as the pic was the colts. Do you have pics of the babies? I bet they were adorable.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, unfortunately not. When they left they were just beginning to let me pet them. They were big bodied, black, four stockings, & blaze's. They were true black too.

HorseLovinLady 02-06-2013 05:48 AM

So sorry to hear of their passing, they were both beautiful.