The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Your Experience with Arabians (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/your-experience-arabians-152392/)

Houston 02-04-2013 11:16 PM

Your Experience with Arabians

There are some people who think Arabians are "crazy" or too spooky/excitable. Then there are some people who think they are wonderful. :D

Some of my favorite rides have been on an Arabian (first riding lesson, first time cantering, or a short Endurance lesson for example) and I think they are absolutely stunning. I wouldn't mind having one of my own. :wink:

Each horse is an individual but, in general, what is your personal experience with Arabians? Is it good or bad? Do tell- I'm curious!

Remali 02-05-2013 01:23 AM

I've owned part-breds and purebreds since 1970, I've never had a spooky one or a "crazy" one. I showed in pleasure and basic dressage, and did a lot of trail riding, they're such terrific horses and have the nicest people-oriented dispositions. Anyone could ride my Arabians, and a couple were used for beginner riders learning how to ride (one was a purebred gelding that wasn't gelded until he was 7 years old, he was kind and gentle as a stallion and a marvelous gelding too). Any breed can be spooky, I've seen more QHs spook than I care to count... it all depends on the horse and its training/handling.

But, for disposition and trainability, Arabians can't be beat.

EvilHorseOfDoom 02-05-2013 01:34 AM

Crazy IS wonderful :mrgreen:

I love Arabians. Quite a different riding experience from other horses but I love their lightfooted speed and long moment of suspension at the gallop. It's like flying. I love their quirky, intelligent personalities, their high level of instinctive behaviour, their lovely high tail carriage and show-off nature. I love their endurance and the joy they have in racing up hills. I love their inquisitiveness and loyalty.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever met an Arabian who was spooky in a stupid way. Plenty of TBs and a fair few warmbloods, but no Arabians. They just have a lot of "go" in them, and like to think things through, so if you try and push them past something they haven't had a chance to investigate (which is usually a good idea with most other breeds) they can freak out. Whereas if you give them a minute to observe and think they will assess it as non-dangerous and move on. They're much less likely to see you as a leader I've found, but they will see you as a partner and trusted companion. And they have great memories!

Go the Arabians! :D

gogaited 02-05-2013 02:14 AM

Had a high school riding buddy whose mom raised Arabians. I rode her gelding and her sisters gelding, I liked them both. They were beautiful horses, something I could appreciate as my first horse was ugly as sin. Sad to have lost track of her again.

dbarabians 02-05-2013 02:20 AM

On the farm here there are QHs, TBs and Arabians. Arabians are my favorite and take far less time to train than the other breeds.
i have some "hot" ones here but if they are ridden consistently they calm down a lot.
their loyalty is legendary and they are very versatile.
They may not be for everyone and can intimidate some riders witht heir endurance spirit and intelligence. Shalom

Rhen 02-05-2013 02:22 AM

The first horse I bought was an 1/2 Arabian..BP Magic Mist. The BEST horse I ever had!! He challeged me at first, but once we worked it out he was the best horse I ever had!! Just laid back but had spunk too!! Can't go wrong with them!! They are beautiful and so so SMART!!!!

waresbear 02-05-2013 02:34 AM

I have owned & trained a few Arabs. None were crazy, in fact they were very smart and personable. Although I don't own an Arab right now, they are my favorite breed and when the stars are all aligned, I will be getting my dream Arab showhorse.

BBBCrone 02-05-2013 05:42 AM

Personal experience is all good :-)

They have excellent personalities and are smart like crazy. Had them when I was young and now that I'm uhhh not so young, I just recently bought a 1/2 Arabian to enjoy.

bsms 02-05-2013 09:12 AM

My mare is the stereotype spooky Arabian. In reality, she doesn't have any problem that a confident, reasonably experienced rider and a lot of riding wouldn't solve. Hopefull this 2 month string of unseasonably cold weather we've had will end soon...

My Appy gelding is 3/4 Arabian. You ought to roll a cigarette for him and stick it in his mouth, because he'll go along a trail at any pace you want, relaxed, drawling, "What next, Ma'am?" to my youngest daughter. To date, the only thing he spooked at was a trampoline hidden behind a fence. All he could hear was kids screaming, and all he could see was kids bodies flying up into the air. He WAS a bit concerned over what monster was doing THAT!

DancingArabian 02-05-2013 10:20 AM

My gelding is a straight Egyptian Arabian. He can be very mellow and he's so food driven and eager to please. He's smart and funny. He's brave and tries really hard in his work. He is my beautiful, spazzy friend.
Posted via Mobile Device