The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Growing out roach (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/growing-out-roach-152402/)

ThePaintGirl 02-04-2013 11:58 PM

Growing out roach

Hi all!
So Ive had my gelding's mane roached for awhile now. I dont have clippers, cant afford a good set of clippers, and his mane has gotten thick enough that using scissors is just a pain in the butt. Ive decided to try growing it out, its growing rate is insane (and I dont do anything to it)

Any tips? I know its going to take a LOT of time but I dont care too much, I just dont want to cut it anymore haha.

And if anyone has any pictures of their horse's roached manes growing out with dates that would great!

Sunday his mane was 3-4 inches long. . . high? and I cut it down to about 1 1/2 inches THEN decided to grow it out today (I currently hate myself haha)

Thanks!
ThePaintGirl

TeamRoper16 05-07-2013 04:54 PM

Start feeding your horse BioMane! It's incredible! My horses (and my friends horses) are growing manes and tails like crazy. We have a competition each month to see who's horse grows the most (yea it seriously grows a ton in just a month). We order it from their website biomane.com (I think it's a pretty new product, haven't found it in feed stores yet)

WesternRider88 05-07-2013 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When I got my mule his mane was roached and it looked like in the first picture. The second picture is the most recent one, I took it several days ago. It's 4 1/2 inches long and his forelock looks like a little mohawk now. :D And I've had him for almost 6 months and I haven't been doing anything to his mane.

PrairieChic 05-10-2013 02:44 PM

One of my geldings rubbed his mane right off right in the middle(winter feeder) and as it grew back it stood straight up. He had a 6 inch high mohawk for 2/3 of his mane line,lol, and I couldn't take it anymore. I used mtg on it and elastics to train it to lay down with the rest. It took nearly a year for it to look normal to the rest of the mane. His was really long. The most pain it the butt part is getting it to lay flat again. But it just takes time.

nvr2many 05-10-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternRider88 (Post 2454913)
When I got my mule his mane was roached and it looked like in the first picture. The second picture is the most recent one, I took it several days ago. It's 4 1/2 inches long and his forelock looks like a little mohawk now. :D And I've had him for almost 6 months and I haven't been doing anything to his mane.

^^ Notice his friend laughing at him?? :lol: Kidding he is cute!

BoldComic 05-14-2013 02:45 PM

I don't have pics but last spring I roached a mares matted mane to about 1" long. This spring it is laying half way down her neck again.

My mini gelding got hogged down to the skin last summer and his is now about 6-7" long. I'd say it grew about an inch per month.

ButtInTheDirt 05-17-2013 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend has a cow-feeder for bales and her horses rub their manes off putting their heads through. I am training her gelding, and I decided to revitalize his hairstyle from patchy to roach. Now it has grown out perfectly! All it needs is a little trim. But I completely cut it off maybe November, and it looks very nice now. I would just let it grow, if you are wanting it to fall over, start banding/braiding it when it gets long enough. It just takes patience.

Although I will probably cry when I go to see him and his mane is awful again. :lol: I'm fairly proactive when it comes to the care of my horses, including the mane.