The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   You and your trainers relationship? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/you-your-trainers-relationship-152417/)

BarnBum 02-05-2013 01:22 AM

You and your trainers relationship?

So I have a question, I will try to get to it without getting into too many personal details about whats happening to me.

Do you have a trainer that would go to the mat for you? Who genuinely enjoys having you around and would be distressed if you were unhappy and thought of leaving?

Or is that beyond the realm of professionalism? Thanks.

waresbear 02-05-2013 01:28 AM

I think I do, at least I hope so!

Kayty 02-05-2013 01:45 AM

Absolutely. I have been riding with my coach for 10 years now, and we are very good friends as well as student/coach. We can be best of friends, drink together, go away together, our families and partners are also very close - but when it comes to Dressage, we get right into it. She will happily yell at me, chase me with lunge whips, and demand absolute perfection. Then as soon as I get off, we're mates again.
I enjoy having such a relationship with my coach, as neither of us feel intimidated to not say something that needs saying, she will yell at me, I'll yell back at her if I don't like what she's telling me. We can go home and discuss concepts and ideas for hours!

BarrelracingArabian 02-05-2013 01:54 AM

Yup i met my trainer about 6 or so yrs ago when i cheered with her daughter. Then about 2 years ago i started riding with her, taking lessons with her and she has always been there. She is always willing to get after me when riding about my previously taught bad habits haha but we can go on road trips and talk the entire time. She calls me her adopted daughter and even told her husband if I wanted / needed i could take her daughters old room lol. She has been helping me search for a horse as well as loaning me her horses to keep up to speed on :).

BarnBum 02-05-2013 02:09 AM

I have no problem with a trainer getting after me while riding. Thats what I'm paying for! I don't need kid gloves in a lesson.

I guess it's more after I dismount kind of thing. I don't think I will be lucky enough to share a relationship with my trainer like ya'll seem to! I hope you know how blessed you are!

JaphyJaphy 02-05-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnBum (Post 1878813)
I have no problem with a trainer getting after me while riding. Thats what I'm paying for! I don't need kid gloves in a lesson.

I guess it's more after I dismount kind of thing. I don't think I will be lucky enough to share a relationship with my trainer like ya'll seem to! I hope you know how blessed you are!

Don't worry, I don't either. I've been riding with my training for almost 4 years now and we're just starting to make more than basic small talk :-P She's a good trainer and everything, but there's a language barrier (she's from Germany) and we just don't really socialize much. I'd sure like to have a trainer that I do get on well with though!

averyhmko 02-06-2013 09:59 AM

Absolutely, I think at least. I love my trainer she's amazing

Phura 02-06-2013 10:13 AM

I think it depends on the trainer...some have an attitude as they know all, whether due to lack of respect from others or simply arrogance, some are all about business, and some genuinely care about their clients well being. Ideally for me a good trainer cares about you as a human being, provides good constructive criticism and guidance with horsemanship, and is professional with their business.

After reading your other thread regarding your situation, I personally wouldn't hesitate to move on. I left my first trainer simply because she didn't pay enough attention to my personal safety. Nice facility and I miss the facility itself, and she had great experience and taught good lessons, but safety first!

gypsygirl 02-06-2013 10:21 AM

i have to trainers and am very close to both of them. i dont ride with either of them often [one lives out of state and one has a crazy schedule, combined with the fact that i have no money] i only horse show with the one who lives out of state bc he events and my other trainer does H/J. the one who lives closer by, i know if i called him and told him i needed help with ANYTHING, he would be there to help me.

Lexiie 02-06-2013 10:41 AM

I do(:

I've known my instructor since I was little! She's like a second mom(: