The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Brabant horse please (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/brabant-horse-please-152419/)

Athenapar 02-05-2013 01:43 AM

Brabant horse please

Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I am obsessed with the Brabant horse breed and want a baby badly- either a full blood or one out of my Spanish Norman. Does anyone know are they fast? Jumpers? They seem almost IMPOSSIBLE to get here in the United States.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 02-05-2013 10:25 AM

The place to start would be the American Brabant Association. There are about 20-30 breeders in the US and they produce 50-75 full and partbred foals a year. Brabants are short, stocky, heavy draft horses and would never make a jumper. They are bred to plow and move low and slow. A Spanish Norman would make a terrible jumper as well.

If you want a Brabant and can not find or afford a full blood, you should go with a smaller, broad, old style Belgian mare. Breed her to a Brabant stallion and you will end up with a foal that is recognized by the Association. Brabants fall under the Belgian Draft Horse Corporation.

texasgal 02-05-2013 11:05 AM

..... and welcome to the forum!

Thyme 02-05-2013 03:11 PM

If you want a draft horse but also to jump I would suggest looking into crosses, I do know some full shires and full percherons that are good at jumping low levels, but I agree the horses you listed would be a no go. . .

FeatheredFeet 02-05-2013 04:30 PM

Gypsies love to jump and are many are good at it, but do not expect them to reach higher levels successfully. There is a person in Florida who breeds Brabants and also (so I hear) crosses Gypsies and Brabants.

Lizzie

MtSue13 09-23-2013 08:33 PM

Brabants

Athenapar
Did you manage to hookup with the Brabant Folks? If not I can supply info.. Happy horse hunting
Sue

Gmac 09-24-2013 07:16 AM

Feathered feet- where did you see that about a FL brabant breeder. I'm in FL and would love to know where they are located.