The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Dogggy food lol (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/dogggy-food-lol-15242/)

SonnyWimps 09-26-2008 08:16 PM

Dogggy food lol

Okay since I started working at a local "pet health food" pet shop, I'm a total pet food health nut lol. Yeah I eat horrible junk, but I'm picky on what my dog eats lol.
Anyone else like that out there? Or am I the only one?

I'm a total "read ingrediant" junkie, I know what to look for, what not to look for, and so on. Yeah I'm a freak :wink:

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/31...onny_026_1.jpg
^^My doggy, Ake!

appylover31803 09-26-2008 08:55 PM

My parents feed their dogs Nutro.. i forget which on exactly, but my mom likes that because it's a natural food.

I would LOVE for Chief to be on it, but he has a very sensitive stomach that we've kept him on the food he was on since he started eating solid food (Science Diet Large Breed Puppy)

SonnyWimps 09-26-2008 08:58 PM

my puppies were on Purina for the longest time because the one dog had such a sensitive stomach that he threw up blood because he ate something he wasn' used to.

I wanted to get them off of it, because I didn't believe it was a good food. We tried some different foods and now they are both on Chicken Soup for the Adult Dog Lovers Soul and they LOVE it and haven't been sick.
My dogs I believe have a grain allergy so I'm extremely careful on what I buy for them.
I have to buy them all natural food...and treats.
And I always make sure the stuff is made in the USA not in China or anything lol

3neighs 09-26-2008 09:09 PM

Just this spring I tried grain free food for my shih tzu/poodle mixes and cannot believe how it has improved their health. No more ear infections, no more itchy, dry skin, no more tear stains and their coats have never been so soft and shiny. Plus, because it's so rich, I feed half the amount per dog of what I was feeding before. The brand I get is Taste of the Wild because it's the least expensive of the grain free brands that are near us.

SonnyWimps 09-26-2008 09:32 PM

yep that's a good food. I never tried it because it's too rich for my dogs. I feed Chicken Soup for the Adult Dog Lovers Soul (hehe)
and my dogs are extremely healthy on it. I'm thinking of switching to a pet food made entirely in NY, and all ingredients are from the USA....but I don't know if I will or not

Erin_And_Jasper 09-26-2008 10:01 PM

[quote="appylover31803"]My parents feed their dogs Nutro.. i forget which on exactly, but my mom likes that because it's a natural food. [quote]

my dog almost died from eating nutro. she broke out in hives and was sick for days. my friend had two dogs die from eating nutro. PLEASE tell your parents to swich. for the dogs sake

Cassilynne 09-27-2008 11:43 AM

Nutro and Wellness are awesome brands. I use Nutro for my cats and Wellness for my dogs.

appylover31803 09-27-2008 02:49 PM

[quote="Erin_And_Jasper"][quote="appylover31803"]My parents feed their dogs Nutro.. i forget which on exactly, but my mom likes that because it's a natural food.
Quote:

my dog almost died from eating nutro. she broke out in hives and was sick for days. my friend had two dogs die from eating nutro. PLEASE tell your parents to swich. for the dogs sake
My parent's Lab is 12 years old and has been on that food since we got her at 12 weeks old. Casey their 8 year old mix has been on that since they got him at around 4 or 5 months old (he was a rescue)
Toby, their 7 year old mix has been on that since they adopted him.. he was 6-8weeks old. They have all been fine and never had any sort of hives at all.

I will tell them that though.

SonnyWimps 09-27-2008 03:08 PM

Nutro is an okay brand...it's not top quality, but not low-quality. There are no by-products in it which is the main thing that bothers dogs. There is grain, but some grain is fine.
I tried Nutro on my Poms but they got sick...but that's probably just because they have extremely sensitive stomachs and some levels of some mineral bothers smaller dogs.

As long as the dog is healthy on Nutro, no health problems that started because of the food, the food is fine.

SonnyWimps 09-27-2008 03:11 PM

I use CHicken Soup for the Adult Dog Lovers Soul for my dogs and Innova for my cat.
My mom's dog eats Purina...but that's her dog and she won't switch him.