The Horse Forum banner

digipaint wip

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  blue eyed pony 
#1 ·
I had a pageviews contest (or 'kiriban' as many call it) on deviantart, and the winner was promised a fully shaded full body artwork of one of their characters, with a full background.

It's been so long since I've done anything of the sort I'd forgotten how long it takes!

The character belongs to kamirawolfdemon.deviantart.com - though was adopted from another dA member. So design credit goes to Kamira and to the person she adopted Easter from.

Aaaanyway. I didn't get a WIP of the sketch, because I wasn't sure I liked it until it was fully shaded. I'm trying out a new line-free style, working towards some more realistic stuff than my usual [I am very cartoonish, typically, as some of you may know].

Reference photo [from cassykiara.deviantart.com]:

Greyscale shaded:

Colour done except tail:

Pony finished, background started on/blocked out:

I'm also using a ref for the background, this, from momotte2stocks.deviantart.com:

See less See more
#2 ·
Another progress report :) I got the grass/foreground finished at last, dear goodness that takes a long time - but I anticipate the water/mountains will take longer.

I took a little artistic license, as you can see, so while I'm using a ref it's not going to look exactly like the ref. Longer grass, less dirt/rock. The request was for a spring scene, so if I have any say in the matter, it's going to be a really lush grassy scene!

#4 ·
Thank you! I work in Photoshop CS5 with a Genius graphics tablet. Nowhere near as good as a Wacom [market leader] but a decent tablet. Took some getting used to though - working with a pen and not looking at where my pen is, but the computer screen.

I'm just as lucky as the winner, she has so many amazing characters and I was really hoping she would be the one to get it. Easter has been so much fun to draw. I could/should blend my shading a bit better but I like the sketchy style, it's more forgiving of mistakes.

#5 ·
It looks so much better without being blended I think. Blending would make it a bit wishy-washy, with everything stark it really stands out and separates foreground from background a bit more too. A bit like Marc McBride, who illustrated the Deltora Quest series :).

What are the coloured markings on Easter for? Is he going to be that colour, like an Easter egg or will he be like the picture?

#6 · (Edited)
The coloured markings are her colour :) that's what Kamira wants, so that's what Kamira gets. I very rarely use references for colour - only really when drawing people, because for some reason I just can't get the colour/shading right otherwise LOL.

edit; with blending the shading, I would probably make the shading a bit darker if it was all properly blended. I do want Easter to be the main focus of the piece and at this stage she is. Hopefully as the background becomes more detailed she will still stand out, without looking like she's just been slapped in there with no thought of how she mixes with the setting.

The character:
Easter Ref by ~KamiraWolfDemon on deviantART

#11 ·
It looks amazing!

As for the water, I love it! I like the bulge on the side in the water, looks like a little bay but can be interpreted many ways. Just to reinforce this, it might be easier to make it a little 'flatter' (not quite such a big bulge in) as this may be mistaken for a kind of wave at first glance until you take a closer look :).

I am astonished at how realistic and yet artistic your work is!

#12 ·

Yeah like I said I'm not happy with the water lol. It's ok, but it could definitely be more realistic. I think it's a bit too bright really, my technique leaves a lot to be desired, and I didn't zoom in much/at all so there's not a lot of detail. I got lazy... I can do better.

#13 ·
Don't be too hard. It looks great! Better than lots and lots could do. Be proud of your achievements!

And I loved your style so much I tried something like it myself. Looked very amateur but I was happy :lol:. First time I've ever used other art as an inspiration!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.