The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Is my filly getting the right nutrition? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/my-filly-getting-right-nutrition-152435/)

SorrelMystery 02-05-2013 10:09 AM

Is my filly getting the right nutrition?

Is my filly getting the right nutrition? She is approx. 10-11 months and seems to be a good weight. I am ordering a horse & pony weight tape so I just have to wait for it to get here.

She has a salt block which she uses. We make sure there is always water available

She is fed a small coffee can size of 14% performance horse pellets (this was recommended to me to use for her) and a cup of calf manna(supplement). The grain and calf manna are fed twice a day and she gets a flake of alfalfa at each feeding.

I have been reading the importance of weighing the feed/hay before feeding so that you can be giving the correct amount. Starting tonight I will be doing this, I will just have to weigh out her food for the next morning as well because I dont do her morning feedings someone else does.

I am also thinking about giving her free choice hay. Do I need to gradually add this or just put the hay out for her? Which would be a better choice brome, prairie, or both?

I had someone help me set up her feeding program but I want to get some opinions on it.

Here lately she has been really itchy but I am thinking this is due to the weather getting warmer but is there a possibility that diet could be causing her to be itchy

loosie 02-06-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelMystery (Post 1879054)
Is my filly getting the right nutrition? She is approx. 10-11 months and seems to be a good weight. I am ordering a horse & pony weight tape so I just have to wait for it to get here.

Hi, if you look up 'body condition scoring' you'll see what factors/areas you need to consider to judge how your horse's condition is. *Remember that youngsters will go through 'gangly' stages which is fine & as with adults, being a little on the light side tends to be healthier than too heavy. Weight tapes can help you work out whether a horse has gained or lost weight if it's otherwise unclear, but they can't give an accurate weight or tell you whether your horse is a good weight or too thin or fat.

Quote:

She has a salt block which she uses. We make sure there is always water available
A very good idea. Horses don't typically get much out of licks though, be they salt or minerals, so I'd be leaving the block for 'Justin' but if you feel she needs it(sounds like she might), I'd also provide loose salt for her.

Quote:

She is fed a small coffee can size of 14% performance horse pellets
Can't comment on whether this is appropriate without knowing what it is. As a rule, grain & other high-carb ingredients aren't great for horses & I'd guess 'performance' pellets would be grain-based. So I'd look into that & consider changing to a low sugar/starch feed if it's necessary to give her any hard feed.

Quote:

The grain and calf manna are fed twice a day and she gets a flake of alfalfa at each feeding.
There are a few different 'manna' products, and it also depends what the horse is getting in her diet as to what she may or may not need to balance her nutrition. FeedXL.com is one great resource for working out balanced diets for specific horses & situations. Alfalfa/lucerne is high in calcium & protein among other nutrients. It's also high energy, so should be fed sparingly, if at all to 'easy keepers'. Depending on the size of the flakes & the total amount of roughage fed, that may be a good amount. I think as a rule, if alfalfa makes up about 1/4 - 1/3 of the daily forage this is probably a good ratio.

Quote:

I will just have to weigh out her food for the next morning as well because
Good. 'flakes' & 'coffee cans' are very subjective measures!:wink: But you don't have to weigh every feed - work out how much you need to feed her, put that in the coffee can/cup & just feed that level every feed. If changing feeds you'll have to weight again. Also keep in mind with commercial feeds, the 'recommended daily intake' the company advises is likely to be far more than is really necessary.

Quote:

I am also thinking about giving her free choice hay. Do I need to gradually add this or just put the hay out for her? Which would be a better choice brome, prairie, or both?
If she doesn't have adequate free choice grazing, she absolutely needs hay, yesterday. As a rule, horses should get about 2-3% bwt daily in forage(include the lucerne in that count) & periods of hunger are bad for them. Don't know those specific types, but 'unimproved' native type grasses are generally lower sugar so better than 'improved' cattle fattening types such as rye.

Quote:

Here lately she has been really itchy but I am thinking this is due to the weather getting warmer but is there a possibility that diet could be causing her to be itchy
Could possibly be too much of something, such as carbs, or lack of something, such as Omega 3 or magnesium. IME foals are always extra itchy & in need of regular scratchies tho!:wink:

loosie 02-06-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelMystery (Post 1879054)

Hi, if you look up 'body condition scoring' you'll see what factors/areas you need to consider to judge how your horse's condition is. *Remember that youngsters will go through 'gangly' stages which is fine & as with adults, being a little on the light side tends to be healthier than too heavy. Weight tapes can help you work out whether a horse has gained or lost weight if it's otherwise unclear, but they can't give an accurate weight or tell you whether your horse is a good weight or too thin or fat.

Quote:

A very good idea. Horses don't typically get much out of licks though, be they salt or minerals, so I'd be leaving the block for 'Justin' but if you feel she needs it(sounds like she might), I'd also provide loose salt for her.

Quote:

She is fed a small coffee can size of 14% performance horse pellets
Can't comment on whether this is appropriate without knowing what it is. As a rule, grain & other high-carb ingredients aren't great for horses & I'd guess 'performance' pellets would be grain-based. So I'd look into that & consider changing to a low sugar/starch feed if it's necessary to give her any hard feed.

Quote:

The grain and calf manna are fed twice a day and she gets a flake of alfalfa at each feeding.
There are a few different 'manna' products, and it also depends what the horse is getting in her diet as to what she may or may not need to balance her nutrition. FeedXL.com is one great resource for working out balanced diets for specific horses & situations. Alfalfa/lucerne is high in calcium & protein among other nutrients. It's also high energy, so should be fed sparingly, if at all to 'easy keepers'. Depending on the size of the flakes & the total amount of roughage fed, that may be a good amount. I think as a rule, if alfalfa makes up about 1/4 - 1/3 of the daily forage this is probably a good ratio.

Quote:

I will just have to weigh out her food for the next morning as well because
Good. 'flakes' & 'coffee cans' are very subjective measures!:wink: But you don't have to weigh every feed - work out how much you need to feed her, put that in the coffee can/cup & just feed that level every feed. If changing feeds you'll have to weight again. Also keep in mind with commercial feeds, the 'recommended daily intake' the company advises is likely to be far more than is really necessary.

Quote:

If she doesn't have adequate free choice grazing, she absolutely needs hay, yesterday. As a rule, horses should get about 2-3% bwt daily in forage(include the lucerne in that count) & periods of hunger are bad for them. Don't know those specific types, but 'unimproved' native type grasses are generally lower sugar so better than 'improved' cattle fattening types such as rye.

Quote:

Could possibly be too much of something, such as carbs, or lack of something, such as Omega 3 or magnesium. IME foals are always extra itchy & in need of regular scratchies tho!:wink:

DRichmond 02-08-2013 05:13 PM

If you can provide a quality grass hay and supplement alfalfa rather than feed alfalfa as her only hay choice, I think it may be better for her overall.