The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Our new mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/our-new-mare-152439/)

Maple 02-05-2013 12:13 PM

Our new mare

146 Attachment(s)
After the success of Simba, I've ended up with a new "project" to get right.

Saw an aged pony for sale,photos showed her looking so didnt think we had much to lose.. then we got there to see her :shock:

Rain scald, wormy belly, ribby and the fett.. sigh... the feet.

She had been left off since the summer with only no sheet and a bit of haylage. None of them were given hard feeds... and at 22 years of age the ol girl didnt fair as well as the others. I was told that she did wear a light sheet, but the rain scald is from her withers to her arse :?

Anyway, the little one sat up on her and you could see the confidence levels rising by the min and fell in love. I can tell hiding behind it all is a nice pony. So without further ado, here is Nod:

Attachment 128339

Waiting at the gate, somebody has decided she likes her nice warm bed, dinner and hay! She is also clever enough to know who gets dinner ready :)

Attachment 128340

Bit of a swayback I know, but when we get her right I think she'll look ok. Look at the mane!! They must have just chopped it with a pair of scissors :(

Attachment 128341

Need I say anything here ?? *sigh*

Thyme 02-05-2013 04:27 PM

She is definitely going to be a nice looking pony after some TLC, good luck with her!

HorseLovinLady 02-05-2013 05:47 PM

Goof luck with her, she's cute.

xlionesss 02-05-2013 07:32 PM

poor feetsies :(
she looks sweet though!

Northernstar 02-05-2013 07:36 PM

What a precious girl!! I can imagine she's feeling so loved now! Bless you for taking her :)

franknbeans 02-05-2013 07:40 PM

She will pay you ack a thousandfold, I am sure. Sweet girl. ;-)

Maple 02-07-2013 04:36 PM

146 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! She is settling in well, and already best of pals with Bandit :) She seems to be very clever and has already figured out the routine. Once she takes care of my little girl, and helps her confidence grow, I don't care what she turns into when she cleans up!

The annoying thing is I gave Simba's new owners his rugs so I have none for her! argh! A girl I know has one that she doesnt use which should fit but is away at school til the weekend.

Country Woman 02-07-2013 10:58 PM

Good luck with Nod
she needs a lot of love and care

FGRanch 02-08-2013 11:05 AM

Awe she looks like a little doll, can't wait to see how she looks in a few months with proper care.

Maple 02-17-2013 10:11 AM

146 Attachment(s)
:lol:After two weeks settling in, we took her out for a spin today.

Things I'm noticing - she's a mare! lol! She is NOT afraid to put Bandit in his place. She's quite wicked coming in at night for her dinner and not afraid to let loose with the hind legs and make nasty faces at him.

Today was the first day she was tacked up - she is very girth sour. Even to brush her belly the ears go back.

She's had her feet done, been wormed, de-liced and gets a good rub daily to try and get her coat right. She is getting 2 flakes of hay am & 3pm. I'm also giving her hard feed to build her up.

Went down the road and seemed fazed by nothing. Her kicking out at Bandit in the field makes me think that riding him and leading the lil one on Nod isn't going to work - all 16.2hh of him is petrified of 12hh pony!

Photos of Nod today, still ALOT of work to do:

Attachment 129915

I love this pony, she knows how to turn her head just the right way to blank out my tummy and make me look far slimmer! :lol:

Attachment 129916

Lil one is in love with her

Attachment 129914

Still alot of work to do!

Attachment 129917

Happy out! :D