The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Need help with flooding stall (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/need-help-flooding-stall-152443/)

OuttatheBlue 02-05-2013 12:43 PM

Need help with flooding stall

So I just moved my horse back to a stall setting. We got the stall that floods a lot, unfortunately.

It's beside a slop and is the lowest point which is my belief for why it floods(no standing water, but it does get the bedding wet which wastes it), but I'm just looking for ideas to help save bedding.

The stall is 12x12 opens to a run (where I believe the water comes from) and is completely dirt inside. The horse before peed in the middle consistently so there is a dip. As of right now there are no mats. Any ideas to get this more functional so I don't throw away bedding?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 02-05-2013 12:45 PM

Bring in some sand and gravel and put down mats. You need to raise the floor level so that water doesn't wash through it.

OuttatheBlue 02-05-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1879180)
Bring in some sand and gravel and put down mats. You need to raise the floor level so that water doesn't wash through it.

That'll be my weekend project. I don't like mats that curl up and become uneven, have you heard anything ofusing on big custom cut mat? The barn manager was talking about that a couple years ago, but he's been extremely busy upkeeping the property.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 02-05-2013 12:59 PM

I hate mats too. I'm looking at using Stall Skins instead of mats. Stall Skins stall mats, horse stall mats, horse mat, rubber stable mats

natisha 02-06-2013 06:17 PM

Grading would be your easiest solution. It would be easy for a guy with a bobcat to do.

OuttatheBlue 02-06-2013 06:19 PM

Yeah and he does have a bobcat, I think I'm gonna end up having to fix it myselfthough as he's extremely busy.

natisha 02-06-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OuttatheBlue (Post 1881388)
Yeah and he does have a bobcat, I think I'm gonna end up having to fix it myselfthough as he's extremely busy.

Let me rephrase that- a gal with a bobcat.:-)

CopperPony 02-06-2013 06:44 PM

I ran a small ditch on either side of my stall, so that the water runs down through there and past it instead of into the stall.

Saddlebag 02-06-2013 07:25 PM

Dig a trench from inside the stall to well away from the barn and install weeping tile and put A gravel both below and above it. This creates underground drainage allowing the water to seep into the area below the gravel.

OuttatheBlue 02-06-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1881429)
Let me rephrase that- a gal with a bobcat.:-)

Haha IF he lets me borrow it!!

Trench sounds like a good idea too, I may try to expand on.