The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   APHA Mare Conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/apha-mare-conformation-152473/)

SugarNSpice 02-05-2013 04:04 PM

APHA Mare Conformation

4 Attachment(s)
This is my 16 year old APHA mare, Ruby. I've owned her for ten years now, she's 14.2, I've always ridden her Western and the girl leasing her now uses her for both Western and English. Just curious to hear other's thoughts on her conformation. Thanks!

P.S. Just had to throw in a couple face pics for good measure! :)

paintedpastures 02-05-2013 05:20 PM

cute mare:-) I'd like to see more bone to her but overall nice looking horse:D

SugarNSpice 02-05-2013 06:56 PM

Thank you! :)

FaceTheMusic 02-05-2013 07:05 PM

She is a bit downhill with a long back. It's hard to tell by the angle of the photos but it looks like she has a slightly upright shoulder and she also appears camped out behind and cow hocked.

She is also very cute and she reminds me of my mare. :)

lilruffian 02-05-2013 07:09 PM

Pretty much what FaceTheMusic said.
Steep shoulder angle, though not a bad neck set
Really hard to tell about the front legs. They almost look slightly over at the knee
Back is long
Bum high
Hindquarters are ok
Back legs look alright aswell, though they do appear cowhocked to a degree

fadedbluejean 02-07-2013 03:40 PM

aw shes really cute(: i love bays

SugarNSpice 03-28-2013 05:42 PM

Thanks again!

stevenson 03-28-2013 06:35 PM

the pic form the hind, dont think it is cow hocked, she may be a tag bow legged as her hocks appear apart and her pasterns seem close together. would need a better shot from the rear. she does appear down hill and butt high, but she looks really cute

WesternRider88 03-29-2013 01:53 AM

She's gorgeous!!! I love her color! :D

Elana 03-29-2013 06:47 AM

She stands close behind and is a bit sickle hocked. she is built down hill so probably is difficult to collect (does she do western pleasure?). Her hocks are adequate.. would like to see them larger. She appears tied in at the knee and perhaps back at the knee (first photo). Her bone is a bit light. Shoulder is a bit steep and muttony with a low set to the point of shoulder. Her gaskins are quite light and he back is long.

She is a lovely blood bay, nice neck, nice expression and she fits together in spite of her flaws. Her turn out shows a lot of pride.