The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Dye rubbing off new Ariat feild boots!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/dye-rubbing-off-new-ariat-feild-152499/)

Milking Moo Moos 02-05-2013 07:52 PM

Dye rubbing off new Ariat feild boots!?

I just bought brand new Ariat tall boots off of ebay (from some wholesale dealer) The fit is perfect but when I went to clean them I noticed the dye is coming off like CRAZY! Is this normal? Is there any way whatever dealer I bought these from is putting Ariat tags and boxes with junky cheap-o boots? Will the dye stop coming off? What in the world would this do to a saddle :shock:

averyhmko 02-06-2013 10:44 AM

You could try switching cleaners but I think you might do best to demand a refund on the boots.

woprairie 03-31-2013 10:46 PM

ariat boot dye

It is interesting that I just tried on Ariat English boots this weekend and noticed the dye came off on my brand new breeches I was buying at the tack/clothing store. I did buy the breeches but not those darn boots<G>:?

jinxremoving 04-01-2013 09:39 AM

The dye came off of my TredStep tall boots and stained my breeches as well, ugh. That's what I get for not riding in tall socks. Lesson learned! I have a new pair of breeches on the way and I won't make that mistake again, lol, although it does seem kind of weird for dye to run on the INSIDE of the boot?!

gypsygirl 04-01-2013 10:12 AM

what are you cleaning them with ?

i NEVER clean boots with any type of soap. just rub them clean with a lightly damp rag and then polish them.

Hidalgo13 04-01-2013 10:28 AM

I found that o happen when I used a shoe cleaner/conditioner. NOw I just take a damp rag with a little vinegar and wipe ti clean. When I condition I use olive oil now, and the stain doesn't come off anymore.

jinxremoving 04-01-2013 03:42 PM

I was under the assumption that using a saddle soap to clean your boots after every ride was the ideal thing to do? The basis being that the manure and urine can eat away at the leather? Regardless, I've been using this after every ride:

http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/soa...s/?product=103

Then once a week I use Oakwood Leather Conditioner on the boots. I've been wearing my boots for over a year, using them 3 times a week and often being caked in mud from fetching the horses in the paddock. My boots look good as new and despite there being some minor dye running, I don't know if I should change my cleaning habits? Any thoughts?

Endiku 04-01-2013 04:14 PM

I think its just something that happens with Ariats... I had the dye rub off of my zip up Ariat Field boots as well when I bought them. It didn't all come off, but I did get some icky smudges from it wearing away on the oes before it stopped ._. I also had the toe seperate from the shoe within a few months of riding in them. I never did buy more after that.