The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Am I western? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/am-i-western-152515/)

horsecrazygirl 02-05-2013 08:18 PM

Am I western?

I was reading a thread where someone mentioned, some people call them selves western just because they sat in a western saddle. That got me thinking. I have never touched an english saddle or anything even remotely english(not that there is anything wrong with it. Just haven't got the chance). I don't show. Mostly just trail ride. But when i have lessons i learn with the western method of riding. I am not even if what i just said makes sense. I don't barrel race,rein or western pleasure or any other western discipline. What does that make me?

Paintlover1965 02-05-2013 08:28 PM

I would say you're a Western rider. I'm a primarily English rider but I enjoy Western riding as well. So, I'm an English/Western rider. I love the different aspects of both disciplines and the similarities.

horsecrazygirl 02-05-2013 09:23 PM

I would love to try english as well, but just for now i was wondering what i would be considered.

Joe4d 02-05-2013 09:31 PM

I ride western, but eventually I have to turn around and head eastern to get back to the house.

Celeste 02-05-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1880132)
I ride western, but eventually I have to turn around and head eastern to get back to the house.

Joe, you're at it again. lol :lol:

EthanQ 02-05-2013 10:29 PM

People focus on stereotypes way too much. Ride how you want, and don't listen to what others have to say.

I ride bareback mostly, doesn't make me an Indian.

WesternRider88 02-05-2013 10:40 PM

I would say you're a western rider. I've never ridden in an english saddle either, but I would really love to try. I mostly just trail ride, but I love learning about all the different disiplines also.

TexasBlaze 02-06-2013 01:12 AM

Why not just be a horseman?

I ride english, western, and bareback. Ive seen too many english riders who cant stand the "hillbilly cowboy" riders and too many western riders who couldnt stand the "snotty english" riders. Its just a saddle. A good horseman is a good horseman reguardless of tack or horse breed.

Phly 02-06-2013 02:14 AM

I ride a TB "western" all cow horsed up. That sends both sides into a tiff! Ha!
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 02-06-2013 02:35 AM

I agree. I don't like saying "English" or "western", or "riding style."

Selena has schooled training level dressage tests a good amount. She is a finished reiner started on cows. She is a barrel horse. If she was conformationally correct to jump without killing herself, I'd probably do that too. You stick her in a western saddle and she looks like a cow pony. In an english saddle she looks just like a little hunter pony.