The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Help finding cinch/girth (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/help-finding-cinch-girth-152518/)

grayshell38 02-05-2013 08:56 PM

Help finding cinch/girth

I am having a heck of a time finding a cinch that has everything I want.
My new saddle has english style billets, but they are 1.25 inches, so the cinch would need 1.5 inch buckles.

It needs to be 20 inches long, either that or I would have to punch a couple more holes in my billets, which I am not overly fond of doing. But I would consider it. A 22 inch cinch was just barely tight enough but was at the top holes on both sides. I guess if I punched a couple more holes it could work at that length...

It needs to be mohair.

And it needs to be roper style.

I know, I'm picky. I've been searching high and low and have not found exactly what I want. :cry: I have contacted a custom cinch maker to see what they would charge for such a thing. Any ideas????

Joe4d 02-05-2013 09:12 PM

your looking for an endurance girth, not english as you have found with the bigger billet straps, need to hit up the endurance tack stores,
Girths & Cinches

middle of page exactly what you described.

another page, ones made for your saddle, these are in 20 inches.
https://www.thedistancedepot.com/Mon...fth-mccfrg.htm

grayshell38 02-05-2013 09:21 PM

The Stillwater does not come in sizes smaller than 28 and the second one is not roper style.

I've looked at what seems like every online endurance store. They are close, but I want everything.

Joe4d 02-05-2013 10:04 PM

montanna will make you custom exactly like you want. or ask them to make you one like the middle one but in a 20.

gottatrot 02-06-2013 09:20 AM

Endurance Tack - Montana Cincha Endurance Girths - Natural Mohair

I buy my mohair cinches from Action Rider since they have lots of styles and sizes. This seems to be what you're looking for? Except I couldn't find what size the buckles are.

Joe4d 02-06-2013 09:24 AM

I just emailed my friend Shelby in NC, she is an endurance ride vendor and also the Specialized Saddle rep for the southeast. I should hear back from her soon.

nicolerm 02-06-2013 10:29 AM

There is someone on ebay that makes custom mohair cinches in any size/shape/color/flavor you want.

edit: found a link! Custom Handmade 100% Mohair Cinches and Girths

Saddlebag 02-06-2013 02:46 PM

Why the roper style. That cinch is designed to spread the weight of an animal pulling on the horn. To use is for other purposes puts too much pressure on the horse's chest. It isn't doing the horse any favors.

grayshell38 02-06-2013 06:46 PM

Thanks Joe!! I'll look into Montana cinches further.

That's great! I hope she'll have some ideas and recommendations for me!

Gottatrot, I have seen the same cinch on another site and it is listed as having 1 inch buckles. Sooooo close though!! Thanks for looking! :-)

Nicolerm, I'll look into that. I have been emailing several custom cinch makers, so am just waiting to hear if they can do it/what it would cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1881189)
Why the roper style. That cinch is designed to spread the weight of an animal pulling on the horn. To use is for other purposes puts too much pressure on the horse's chest. It isn't doing the horse any favors.

Wow. I've never heard that before. I guess I don't get how it causes any more pressure than a regular cinch. Could you explain a little further?

As to the why, I like the fact that it is wider, but doesn't interfere with the horse's elbows. I know when I am carrying stuff, a thicker handle is much more comfortable than a thin one. I figured the same probably holds true for my horse.

I've used both straight cinches and roper cinches on my horses and they seem to like the roper style better. However, I am interested in hearing how it could be bad.

Thanks!

AQHA13 02-06-2013 06:51 PM

these go down to 24" Mohair Endurance Girth - Moss Rock Endurance - Your Source for Custom Biothane Competitive Tack

these go down to 18" Endurance Tack - Montana Cincha Endurance Girths - Natural Mohair
I have this one and love the quality! the only reason I can't use it is because the neoprene irritates my mare.