The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Practice Ad - How's it Look? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/practice-ad-hows-look-152563/)

BadWolf 02-06-2013 10:07 AM

Practice Ad - How's it Look?

1 Attachment(s)
FOR SALE OR TRADE

9 month old Kentucky Mountain Horse filly.
Can be registered Appendix with the Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse Association but paperwork has never been submitted.
Sire is out of Tiajuana Taxi lines.
She has not been worked with very much, but has a good temperament.
Solid conformation, beautiful mover at every speed, appears to be gaited.
Should mature to 15hh-15.2hh.
Additional information and photos available by request.
Located in Breckinridge County, Kentucky.

For Sale: $650
Trade: Horse, broke to ride a must, preference for a 3-7 year old gelding 15hh+

Like the title says, this is mostly for practice; however, I really am wanting to sell/trade her if you're interested.

Endiku 02-06-2013 01:03 PM

Here is what is wrong with your ad:

by not worked with very much, what do you mean? Is she halter trained? Not halter trained? Can she be caught? Does she lead? Does she tie? Will she let you trim her feet? You are being very subjective when you say 'not much.'

Is she gaited or not gaited? 'appears' isnt good enough considering that she is a KMH. A video of her 'great movement' would sell her faster as well.

The picture you chose is no good at all to sell her. She's in a shabby fence with an ill-fitting halter, looking down and not squared. Even one good conformation picture with her standing on level ground, with the photographer at her hip taking a picture will sell her much easier than this one. Get a good halter on her, have someone get her interested and alert looking, stand her up away from the fence without anything distracting in the backround, and bathe/brush her if she'll allow it. The better she is presented, the more interest you will get.

Also, unless the gelding has serious vices, I highly doubt that someone will grade you a broke, young, healthy gelding for your barely handled filly.

BadWolf 02-06-2013 01:08 PM

That's exactly what I needed to know.
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 02-06-2013 06:01 PM

No problem! She's very, very cute. Best of luck finding her a good home.

Saddlebag 02-06-2013 06:32 PM

If you know the heights of the sire and dam include the height she should reach at maturity.

Macslady 02-06-2013 06:56 PM

She is dark and dark horses are very hard to photograph. Make sure you are on your knees and have the sun shining from behind you directly on her and especially plenty of light on her face. And yes try to find a better halter, that one is hiding the good lines of her face. Have one person hold her while another whistles and makes sounds so she perks her ears up and is alert. See if you can move her around in a field and if she shows any signs of gaiting. To naturally gait would be a real plus, but most usually trot in the field at liberty.

In your area where there are a lot of KMH horses so your price may also be a bit high. To sell her I think you may be looking more around the $350 level. The cost to appendix register these babies is pretty high, the new owner would be looking very close to $200 by the time they are done and if they would choose to breed, any colts would need to be gelded but fillies would be registerable with them, but would need certification. She looks cute.

Also I would probably check with the KMH and make sure they are still taking appendix mares.

Good luck selling her!

WSArabians 02-06-2013 09:48 PM

Argh, horrible photos.... Such a pet peeve of mine when selling a horse. LOL
Get someone out there to help you stand her up and get a nice conformation shot.

I wouldn't leave much to "additional information". Put everything relevant in the ad. When she was dewormed. She's halter broke, tie broke, been hauled, loaded, trimmmed, etc.

BadWolf 02-06-2013 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to get a (somewhat) better picture today, but I didn't have any help to get her standing nicely though. And I still need to change her halter. I was interrupted by some dogs that got loose. (Again. Grrr.)
It's blurry on here because I had to lower the image quality for it to upload.

Thank you so much for telling me how to get the lighting right!

On the plus side, I was able to get several videos of her, one at every gait actually. They're just with my phone, but they're better than nothing.

The reason I put "appears" to be gaited is because I have a hard time telling the difference between a rack and just a fast walk. I have a post asking about that in the Gaited Horses section with a link to the video. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me for sure.

I did deliberately price her a bit higher than my actual bottom dollar because it seems like no one is willing to pay asking price for anything anymore. They can think they're low-balling and I'll still get at least enough to go out and buy something more at my level.

Endiku 02-07-2013 09:46 AM

She definitely has some interesting legs...lol.

The picture lighting is tons better, but I still think you need a better picture. Remember, good halter, stood correctly (maybe a friend can help you?) and she needs to be clean. She's a complete fuzz ball as well which doesn't help at all, so if she's still for sale once she sheds out, make sure you update her pictures.

Right now she just looks like a (cute) backyard bred, dirty, funky looking yearling. Its always hard to take pictures of yearlings because they ARE funny looking at this age, but do your best. Taking pictures and including them of her sire and dam might help in that department if they have good conformation, because that will show what she will most likely look like as a three or four year old.

WSArabians 02-07-2013 11:14 AM

I'd just maybe ditch the halter completely.
Unless you can adjust it right and get her square.