The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Movies, Music, and TV (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/)
-   -   Anyone See "Mama?" (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/anyone-see-mama-152580/)

Phantomcolt18 02-06-2013 01:19 PM

Anyone See "Mama?"

What did you think of it? Any theories?

~Spoiler alert for those who have not seen it skip to the bottom of this post haha ~

After the movie I was questioning why a child would willingly go, with a crazy ghost with unfinished business, to basically her death. Yes, I do know that the child may not have known better due to the age at which the ghost "adopted" her and her older sister.

So what I got in my mind was that "mama" and Lilly had a type of connection. The little girl was infatuated with her more than a normal child might be with their own biological mother. Now I don't believe in reincarnation and rebirth, or at least I think I don't. Though sometimes I do question it, but my faith says I have to believe otherwise. (Bunch of confusion Gahh, but no religious debates please.)

Moving on..... But on the path of reincarnation, I believe that Lilly was possibly the reincarnation of Mama's dead child who died upon hitting and catching on the branch on Mama's decent to the river in her desperate attempt to avoid the people who would take her baby again and imprison her. Thoughts on this?

That could relate to why Lilly was so attached to Mama, I mean come on she climbed out a window and risked hypothermia for a ghost. It could also explain why Victoria was able to pull away more but that could also be to the age difference, so difference in understanding.

One would think Lilly would be more willing to follow and listen to her sister, or maybe follow in her sister's steps. That again goes back to either the age difference or that there was, indeed, a stronger bond between Mama and Lilly due to Lilly being linked to her unborn child.

When Mama was offered her deceased child's remains she seemed happy at first, but the child was quickly forgotten when she was called to by Lilly. Thus, again, I believe there was a strong connection. Because if all she truly wanted was her baby back she would have been happy with just the dead child, nothing else. But the fact that she tosses HER child away to go for Lilly might mean that there was no longer the connection to the dead bundle and it had moved on to Lilly. Why? Was the child's soul reborn into Lilly?

Side note: The cliff scene was beautiful! Just the coloring and the way it was done. I wish a bit more editing had been done to Mama to be a little less computer-y but nevertheless I thought it was a beautiful scene. But it left A LOT of questions. I hope they have a sequel to maybe answer some questions or do SOMETHING because I really don't think you could sequel it. Either that or we'll all just have to continue living questioning what happened, or why something happened the way it did? Like I would sincerely like to know what happens after the film ends. There are a few dead bodies that need to be accounted for and a missing child! Come on a child just doesn't go missing and everyone's okay with it. How are they going to convince anyone of sound mind that the child willingly leapt to her death with a ghost.

Another question I had was why does Mama keep touching Annabel's head during the cliff scene and Victoria keeps telling her to go to sleep. That part I am utterly confused about. Was Mama a witch? Is Mama trying to drain her life force? Is she trying to kill her? It doesn't seem like the latter, or any really because she doesn't do it for long just enough for Annabel to lay down. But Annabel does seem tired/weary/drained when she continues her pursuit of Victoria. So what's happening there?

~~ Spoilers over~~~

All in all I though it was a good movie, I liked some scenes more than others. I liked the story/plot line, I just wish they delved a little deeper and made the movie a bit longer so they didn't have to
leave so many empty answers.

It was a breath of fresh air for horror movies because a lot of them have turned to sacrificing a decent story line to focus on the blood and gore. I, for one, LOVE a horror movie with a good storyline, not really a fan of blood and gore because it looks so fake and takes away from anything decent the movie could dish out. The storyline is what’s meant to scare you, but when you deflect from it with distracting things such as someone getting their head chopped off or someone getting their chest sliced open that is all the people will remember. They won’t remember the story or the legends that it is based on.

Ah and who could forget the actors. I LOVED Jessica Chastain in this! It really shows her versatility as an actor. I loved watching her in “The Help” she was excellent. And seeing her go from a ditzy, kind, yearning for a child person to someone a bit darker, cursing with almost no maternal instincts was great! Very happy with her performance. And Nikolaj, well he’s just adorable, and cute! Or at least I think so. He’s a very good actor and I’m glad they cast him in the role because I couldn’t picture anyone else.
And who could forget the girls! They did very well! The girl who played Victoria, Megan Charpentier, was great! She carried herself older than her age and I guess that has to do with being the eldest and growing up with a scary Ghost mom. And the little girl who played Lilly, Isabelle Nélisse, was just adorable. Everything about that little actress was adorable. She played her part very well for being so young and it was really hard not to smile at her sometimes even when she was doing something considered odd or gross. They couldn’t have picked a better little girl for the role.

As I said before I liked the movie a lot. I probably would have enjoyed it more if there weren’t a bunch of teeny weenies screaming at the top of their lungs every 5 seconds even when nothing scary is going on. (No disrespect to teens who actually know how to control themselves. The ones I’m talking about are the 12-14-yr old valley girl impersonators who think getting a piece of dust on their nail is the end of the world. And they also clearly enjoy acting like idiots in front of guys for attention. You know (infection) the ones who like (infection) talk like they’re, like, always (inflection) asking, like, a question(infection) I think you get it haha)

Honestly there was probably ONE scene where you were going to jump but it really wasn’t that “scary” in the sense that people think scary. It was mind scary, not physical “throw yourself off a balcony screaming” scary. I’ll be happy when I can watch it (or evaluate it in my case haha that’s what I always end up doing to movies) at home where I don’t have to deal with the annoying screaming that causes me to miss a possibly important line in the film.

All in all it was a good movie, I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it(just try to avoid the screamy teeny weenies.) If you’re not a horror movie person you STILL might enjoy this movie, especially if you focus on the plot. Also, there are some comical scenes that look like they’re meant to be scary but I ended up laughing, can’t say the same for the screamy teeny weenies though. :wink:

http://starseeker.com/wp-content/upl...12/09/Mama.jpg

GamingGrrl 02-06-2013 01:23 PM

I saw it and it was so breathtaking and different! It didn't "scare" me as much as it was just really really hard to watch at some points, in the best way possible. I loved the slow creeping buildup and the way the director effectively created a drawn out feeling of doom that just sort of hung over the movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phantomcolt18 02-06-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1881057)
I saw it and it was so breathtaking and different! It didn't "scare" me as much as it was just really really hard to watch at some points, in the best way possible. I loved the slow creeping buildup and the way the director effectively created a drawn out feeling of doom that just sort of hung over the movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

YES!! I agree!

tinyliny 02-06-2013 01:34 PM

have you seen Pan's Labrynth?

Speed Racer 02-06-2013 01:47 PM

Ah, love Guillermo del Toro movies! I may have to see this one.

Pan's Labyrinth was such a wonderful movie.

Lis 02-06-2013 03:30 PM

If Del Toro is involved then I'm definitely going to go see it. I love his films especially Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone.

Phantomcolt18 02-06-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1881074)
have you seen Pan's Labrynth?

Yes I have. I thought it was great. It was so haunting yet magical and demented in a very good way. I don't think it's for everyone, my friend had nightmares and decided she was never going to the movies with me again :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1881094)
Ah, love Guillermo del Toro movies! I may have to see this one.

Pan's Labyrinth was such a wonderful movie.

I don't think it will disappoint. It's beautiful in the way only a good horror film can be. I do wish it was longer though.

Pans Labyrinth was beautifully demented. I think del Toro brought to life an adult fairy tale that showed why, as children, we used to fear certain fairy tales ourselves. And then he took it to the next level. It was just beautifully executed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lis (Post 1881242)
If Del Toro is involved then I'm definitely going to go see it. I love his films especially Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone.

I liked The Devil's Backbone as well! Another one I liked was The Orphange.

I also had wanted to see Splice while it was out but couldn't get anyone to go with me. My movie tastes are much different than my friends haha.
Did anyone see Splice? How was it?

GamingGrrl 02-06-2013 04:45 PM

I saw Splice!

It had some good parts, and the idea was clever, but I really expected more. It falls apart in the middle and takes a wrong turn and just spirals off a cliff into flames for the ending.
Adrien Brody is in it though, and I love him as an actor, but his character in Splice really bothered me and....well....made some BAD choices. Thats all I'm going to say without having a spoiler alert. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Phantomcolt18 02-06-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1881336)
I saw Splice!

It had some good parts, and the idea was clever, but I really expected more. It falls apart in the middle and takes a wrong turn and just spirals off a cliff into flames for the ending.
Adrien Brody is in it though, and I love him as an actor, but his character in Splice really bothered me and....well....made some BAD choices. Thats all I'm going to say without having a spoiler alert. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Great now I'm on the edge of want to see it but don't want to see a movie fail horribly hahaha:lol:

I'm going to watch it anyway just because I was so excited to see it when I saw the previews. Just from what I remember from the previews it looks like it'd be more disturbing than scary.

Shoebox 02-06-2013 05:42 PM

Mmm... I have a strongly negative opinion of it LOL. (No plot spoilers)

I thought it was too generic and stereotypical. I could predict what was going to happen and when. I figured out the ending halfway through the movie. The concept had potential, but they didn't use it right to rise to the potential.

The music was too generic, like they just googled "Horror movie music" and used the first hit. And the jump scares... The ones where something suddenly pops up with a loud music hit. WAY too many of those. It got old. Those don't scare me because they're scary, they scare me because you're suddenly blasting music at me when it was previously very quiet. And doing it every 9 minutes isn't going to instill fear in your audience.

I don't know. I thought it was a waste of my 8 dollars. It was bland. It DID have potential, it really did. The plot seemed refreshing. But they absolutely failed to rise to the expectations. It was another run of the mill horror movie that, halfway through, I couldn't wait to be done with.