The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Starting a Boarding facility (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/starting-boarding-facility-152584/)

disastercupcake 02-06-2013 02:45 PM

Starting a Boarding facility

This is something that has been on my mind for the last year or so, and not at all a 'set in stone' ambition. Currently I have a full time job that pays decently, and am looking to buy a house with a decent chunk of property that might later turn into something more. By something more, it could be raising beef or veggies, or boarding horses. So this is really something that is being considered alongside other options.

What are some key things to think about for starting a small-time equine business? I know this is quite different from other agricultural enterprise because its a 'service' and not a 'product'- and therefore involves all the customer's wants, needs, and legal implications. But I love horses. I have 3 of my own, so caring for a few more would not be a big deal for me.

In your opinion, if you are in the equine business, are small boarding facilities effective economically, and are they practical? Meaning, is there really no point in boarding only a few because there would be no profit, and only a couple horses/owners means there's very little 'community'. Thanks for any and all thoughts :)

Speed Racer 02-06-2013 02:50 PM

Unless you're offering something such as an on-site trainer or site for local shows, there is no money in boarding whether you have a small, large, or in between facility. Most boarding facilities are lucky to break even.

Cacowgirl 02-06-2013 03:32 PM

I would say-raise veggies-gourmet types, heirlooms,etc., much less hassle than boarders!

Saddlebag 02-06-2013 07:40 PM

At least with the 9-5 you know where your next paycheck is coming from and how much. Boarding often means headaches from hell, especially the non-paying ones and the excuses.

Muppetgirl 02-06-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 1881171)
I would say-raise veggies-gourmet types, heirlooms,etc., much less hassle than boarders!

Yes, and veges are easy to deal with, you can spray em, pull em out or eat em! I once thought I'd like to have a boarding facility....until I worked in a couple and saw the hassle and stress the BO had to through dealing with people and the loads of maintenance and upkeep......not for me.

GallopingGuitarist 02-09-2013 06:53 PM

I like your way of dealing with veggies! LOL!

PaintHorseMares 02-09-2013 07:01 PM

Raise mushrooms...they love composted horse manure and peed on hay.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 02-10-2013 03:32 AM

and could you really auction off ahorse for a small % of back board?go to court and then have the auction ? deal with the constant belly aching .. she got more shavings, she took my lead, they did this, why didn't you , how come you dont, i cant do that,
and check out commerical liability cost, hay cost, shaving cost, water cost, and you need the addtl ins forget what is called.. care and ?/ and then you can get stuck with a vet bill or farrier bill. and sued if someone gets hurt. Dont plan on having a day off or a vacation.