The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   EMERGENCY QUESTION!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/emergency-question-15264/)

Brandon 09-27-2008 04:46 PM

EMERGENCY QUESTION!!

ALright well i was thinkin today, and it hit me!!

The guy at the ranch told me that when feedin hay to nana over winter time --if i was to board there-- he would charge me 175 dollars for board and $5 dollars for every square bale nana eats a month... now i completely forgot...

how long will a square bale last for a horse that ways about 1050 pds?????????

appylover31803 09-27-2008 04:48 PM

how often is she going to get hay and how many flakes is she going to get?
Is she going to have free choice hay? or Is she going to get hay with her meals?

Painteddreamfarm 09-27-2008 05:18 PM

my 15.3 hand high mare she weights around 1150 and she goes through a bale every two days... but she always has it under her face.

RusticWildFire 09-27-2008 05:19 PM

For my 2 horses we throw 1 bale out in the morning and 1 at night...depends how big the bales are and like appy said...if they are going to be given cookies with meals or like my horses..free range of the bale on the ground.

Granted, when we feed them like that they do waste quite a bit but they do eat a majority of it. It can get really cold up here.

Oh yeah, My horses are both 15.2-15.3 and weigh somewhere between 1000-1200...I haven't weighed them in a couple of years.

Ottakee 09-27-2008 05:29 PM

Re: EMERGENCY QUESTION!!

Depending on your climate (they need more hay in really cold weather) and metabolism, plan about 2% of body weight a day in hay. That would mean about 20 pounds of hay a day.

Most square bales are 40-50 pounds (at least in our area) so I would plan on a bale lasting 2 days. If the bales are quite a bit bigger, they will last longer.

Will your horse be fed hay apart from the other horses so that you know how much you are really going through?

Brandon 09-27-2008 10:27 PM

I will talk to the couple agian on tuesday, and i will most definantly ask about this...!!

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-28-2008 01:06 AM

there charging you for hay on top of board?......that's just wrong.....we charged a flate rate put horse and gave 30 day notice if it needed to be changed, if the board could not aford the hike in price we would work with them

SonnyWimps 09-28-2008 09:19 AM

I agree with Kansas_Twister. It's wrong for them to charge you hay on top of the board price. Raising the board price in the winter is one thing since hay can be hard to get then, but also charging hay is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

Both the stables where I boarded charged me the flat rate of $300 a month. Now on the old stables if I would have stayed, I would have had to pay $350 a month in the winter because of the price of electricity for the water buckets and hay. But at this one the price stays the same ($300) and Sonny gets UNLIMITED hay.

When Sonny was at the other barn he would get 1 square bale (which was approx 8 flakes...more or less depending on the size of the bale) a day, and would also get grained in the morning (to keep weight on him since he lst weight really fast). So you are at least looking at (if you owned my horse) $150 a month (30 days x $5 a bale) for hay.
I don't think that stables has the right to charge you that much for hay, I personally think it's robbery

farmpony84 09-28-2008 09:32 AM

...If I remember right, brandon said it was field board and they would feed if he provided the grain, correct? Now the hay... I don't know, I think around here hay is included in field board but if that's the deal... that's the deal...

It's been along time since I've had just one horse to feed but it seems like I went through a bale a week w/ Pistol, 2 flakes AM and PM and hten I was also graining AM and PM.... but that was back when he was young and obnoxious! I'd say you'll feed between one and two bales a week.

Ryle 09-28-2008 12:12 PM

It will depend on how much the bales of hay weigh, your horse's metabolism and the quality of the hay. Horses need 1%-3% of their body weight in forage per day. That's 10-30 lbs of hay per day depending on your horse's body condition and metabolism.