The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse relatives! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-relatives-152715/)

HarleyWood 02-07-2013 07:20 PM

Horse relatives!

Today talking to a teacher about finding my horses half sister (only sibling i can find) and we started to talk about if he was to see her, would he know her? we feel he would know his dam, problem not his sire but we didnt know about siblings that they never met (shes 8 years older then he is) if they were to be stalled next to each other at a horse show or something if they would recogniz them or their fathers or moms after many years not seeing their mom.

What do you think?

Copperhead 02-07-2013 07:25 PM

I doubt they would recognize eachother.

If you were put in the same room as a sibling you never heard of or met, and no one told you that you were siblings, would you know? I know I wouldn't. My sisters are I look nothing alike and we are full blooded sisters.

Horses sometimes recognize pasture mates that they were living with for many years. But these two horses wouldn't know eachother.

Phly 02-07-2013 08:01 PM

I know a QH that met his foal. The fought till the sure had staples in his face and the "son" was sold. So I'm thinkin they didn't really have a family bond lol. But heck, I don't like my daddy either.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 02-07-2013 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my horse lives with his sire and my daughter used to own his 1/2 sister. Anyways, a pic of all three, left to right, Scotty, the old man, Indy, my horse, Halo, my daughter's former horse. Occassionally, at shows, I will run into some of his half siblings.
Attachment 128652

HarleyWood 02-07-2013 08:35 PM

Me and my brother and sister look a lot a like even though my sister is my half sister people can tell we are related.