The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My horse waste most of his food (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-horse-waste-most-his-food-152743/)

hhhryr 02-07-2013 10:33 PM

My horse waste most of his food

My horse turns his feeder over and waste most of his food, and my mare drops hers out of her mouth all over the ground, any suggestion.

amp23 02-07-2013 10:34 PM

Have teeth been checked?

MyBoyPuck 02-07-2013 10:48 PM

Can you mount a fixed feeder in a stall or shed? My horse will drop almost everything if he's eating at ground level. If he's eating at a more horizontal level, he doesn't drop a bite. (he's parrot mouthed)

My other suggestion is one of those square feeding mats with the raised edges. That way when he drops it out of the bucket, it lands on the mat and he can go back and pick up the rest.

Phly 02-07-2013 10:49 PM

Am I correct that you have a gelding and a mare? That's what I'm workin with ;). The mare, definitely have teeth checked. The gelding, good luck! Honestly I've found deeper dishes help. I want to try setting the dish in a tire, no lack of tires, just rembering before he spills his grain all over! My gelding won't kick his grain over if you're standing there. Been corrected soooooo many times. Leave him alone and it's everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

HarleyWood 02-07-2013 11:21 PM

I have three geldings and my QH and moms mustang will try to dump and move them around the stalls, big rubber buckets. i had smaller ones ( they can safely eat from smaller feeders) and i put them in my dads old pickup truck tires. i also got a few from a local Ford dealership we know some people. they cant reuse them so they never mind us going in and taking some if we ask. we got 16 one time. i just fit them with the buckets put them in the stalls and they cant move them that easy. my other horse chokes so he gets a big one with jolly snacks.

Mochachino 02-07-2013 11:58 PM

Just the last few months my older gelding would immediately flip his rubber feeder upside down and dump everything everywhere. I now feed him in his stall with a wall mounted feeder. Even though he has had his teeth done he still drops feed, but with him feeding on the wall feeder he just drops it back into his feeder. I've also heard of people putting the buckets or feeders inside a tire on the ground. They can't flip or tip it then.

hhhryr 02-08-2013 09:10 PM

Thank you guys for all the information.

FGRanch 02-08-2013 09:27 PM

For the mare, check her teeth and if they are good put his dish higher, it does help. For the gelding, can you feed him smaller amounts at a time more often?

Thunderspark 02-09-2013 12:17 AM

I have feeders that hang on the fence boards for our 5 horses here.......no knocking over buckets which they used to do!!
As for the mare, she might need her teeth floated, it's a sure sign when they loose food from their mouth....