The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Ankle soarness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/ankle-soarness-152751/)

cowgal366 02-07-2013 11:20 PM

Ankle soarness

So i have ankle pain in my left ankle after ridding. Its not after every time but to often and its getting to be a pain. Any ideas on why? I have a thing wear the mucles in my knees are wrapped around the part of knee closer to my shin ( sorry i cannot remember how to spell or say it). I had orginaly thought it had to do with this because its only my left ankle. Any help??

JeniTex 02-08-2013 07:49 AM

My 17 y/o daughter has the same problem but on her right ankle. She was seeing a podiatrist for another matter (poor kid ended up having bunion surgery) and was told the riding caused Achilles Tendonitis. So she has a routine of stretches and various exercises she does to strengthen her tendons as many natural movements cause her pain as well such as running. Good luck!

cowgal366 02-08-2013 10:45 AM

Thank you! I think i might see if i can get it looked at then. I hope it gets better for her.

JustImagine 02-08-2013 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What discipline of riding do you do? I have the same problem but I get excruciating pain in both my ankles. I agree with JeniTex with the stretching exercises =] I also ride English and what really helped me the most was Herm Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups; they're designed for riders with knee and/or ankle issues. They're expensive, but so very worth it. If you ride English and don't want to spend the $200 on them, there are plenty of other flex stirrups to try, too =]

cowgal366 02-08-2013 03:59 PM

I just recently started english and thats when i started to have an issue. I'll look into those. Thank you!

livelovelaughride 02-08-2013 09:14 PM

When you are riding, where is your foot weighted? I caught myself just recently with my weight going to the outside of the foot, instead of resting on the ball of the foot just a wee bit heavier with the supporting four smaller toes. That could cause ankle issues because of the mis-alignment of the lower leg to foot. I'm just saying.

Tracer 02-11-2013 12:44 AM

I am so going to look into those, JustImagine. As someone who suffered from repeatedly dislocating kneecaps and chronic ankle sprains, they might just be worth the money for me.

JustImagine 02-11-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer (Post 1888772)
I am so going to look into those, JustImagine. As someone who suffered from repeatedly dislocating kneecaps and chronic ankle sprains, they might just be worth the money for me.

That sounds exactly like me; before I got these, I could barely walk by the time I was done riding because my ankles hurt so bad. And they don't make my ankles completely stop hurting, but they hurt SO much less to where it's barely noticeable.

Wolfetrap 02-11-2013 08:39 AM

I would try those stirrups before you by them, unless you can find them cheap...I tried them years ago and they KILLED my ankles and knees!!!!! I think they made my ankles over stretch! But I've heard many people love them.

farmpony84 02-11-2013 09:39 AM

My right ankle hurts to the point that I will take 2 or 3 gimpy steps when I first get up... I always figured it was an arthritis type thing caused by the stress of riding....