The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Which one do you guys like best? Hunter Jumpers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/one-do-you-guys-like-best-152753/)

laurenlewis24 02-07-2013 11:26 PM

Which one do you guys like best? Hunter Jumpers

10 Attachment(s)
Based on the photos and info below, which horse would you choose for hunter jumpers and why? Thanks in advance!!

Name: Hushabye Honey
Adoption Fee: $700
Height: 16 hh
Never Raced
Attachment 128665
Attachment 128666
Attachment 128667

Name: Prosico
Height: 16.1 1/2 hh
Color: Bay
Adoption Fee: $500

64 starts

Attachment 128668
Attachment 128669

Name: Great Dancer
Barn Name: Nemo
Height: 15.2 hh
Color: Chestnut
Adoption Fee: $400
38 starts
Attachment 128670
Attachment 128671
Attachment 128672
Attachment 128673
Attachment 128674

Tracer 02-08-2013 02:03 AM

I just can't take my eyes off that mare O.O

But I'm leaning towards Great Dancer. He has a nice long sloping shoulder, good hindquarters (though Prosico's is slightly better IMO), and has nice clean legs. Nice topline, a long but not overly so back... And a kind eye, which I personally value highly.

existentialpony 02-08-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer (Post 1883913)
I just can't take my eyes off that mare O.O

But I'm leaning towards Great Dancer. He has a nice long sloping shoulder, good hindquarters (though Prosico's is slightly better IMO), and has nice clean legs. Nice topline, a long but not overly so back... And a kind eye, which I personally value highly.

My thoughts, too! I looove that mare, but also thought Dancer might be more built for jumps-- I don't love his neck, though. I'm not all that knowledgable on the subject (jumpers), however.

PurpleMonkeyWrench 02-08-2013 04:30 AM

I like how honey is built. Prosico is nice but i do not like his legs and pasterns are super long. Dancer is posty with a poor back end IMO

Back2Horseback 02-08-2013 06:55 AM

Keeping in mind I am a total confo newbie, I'll say this...

The mare (honey) looks more solid to me, thicker legs and more of a mesomorph...lots of muscle building ability. She is also stunning, but then, they are all LOVELY! (I would give anything to have horses in my area with this sort of potential available for adoption!!

Finally, despite favoring the mare mainly for her musculature and legs as I "assume" that horses with thicker, slightly heavier legs have more protection in regard to becoming Hunters or jumpers (?) I do favor geldings...thus personally, if others say all other things being equal go for the gelding, I'd agree with that.

Just my novice $0.02! Best of luck to you in your search! How EXCITING!! :0)

FaceTheMusic 02-08-2013 07:50 AM

I'm gonna go with the general consensus and say that mare is GORGEOUS! I love her and she would be my first choice. She has a lot of presence when you look at her. I bet she would be a real eye catcher at shows. She also has good bone and looks very balanced.

The bay gelding is pretty but he has thin legs with long, weak pasterns. Not good for jumping, IMO.

The chestnut gelding is nice. He has a slightly long back and doesn't have as much angle in his hock as I'd like to see. He is slightly under muscled in his neck and hindquarters but some proper work and more feed could probably fix that. He looks like he has a nice disposition and good attitude.

Seeing how we are in the same state, If I was in the position to buy a horse right now I would probably have to buy that mare out from under you. lol I don't usually go for TBs but she is a looker!

StellaIW 02-08-2013 08:03 AM

I would never go for Great Dancer, I really dislike his headset (I think that's the right word for it)/neck, look at the way he carries himself under rider - the way he is balancing himself with a kind of an ewe neck even though he standing still. He is using all of the wrong muscles. Witch shows on the few muscles he actually have.

I like the mare. She has a good build, very nice topline. Nicely balanced.

I do like Prosico, but finding a saddle that would fit with those withers could be a challenge.

Based on the photos, I would go for the mare.

gogaited 02-08-2013 08:55 AM

Honey. I like her looks and she never raced.

DraftyAiresMum 02-08-2013 09:27 AM

Honey, for sure. She has nice low hocks (ideal for jumping), beautiful angles all the way around, more bone than the other two put together, and a lovely topline. The two boys look...weedy, to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 02-08-2013 09:31 AM

I'm shocked that so many people like that chestnut. Yuck. He's put together very funky and is small. I hate his hindquarter and his hocks are pretty **** straight. His knees and front legs are a mess.

I love the bay gelding. He's very well put together, has a fantastic shoulder, nice short athletic back, fantastic engine in the back. He has a bit lighter bone through his legs, and I would definitely look at getting x-rays of everything with such a cheap price tag. At 10 he's getting up there in age, so what has he done?

The mare is nice, BUT I think the photographer did a fantastic job there. I doubt she would be as eye-catching in winter woollies with no baby oil or SLR lens on her. She's very thick and unrefined, and is quite long through the body. I don't like her neck at all. You cannot see her pasterns in the photo, either. She could be a tad over at the knee. If want up to date photos of her.

My choice would be the bay gelding, hands down. Bay mare next and skip the red gelding altogether. And I'm a sucker for a nice chestnut.
Posted via Mobile Device