The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Stray cat (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/stray-cat-152762/)

alexischristina 02-08-2013 02:36 AM

Stray cat

Had a bit of a scare today, was bending down to pick up a couple flakes of hay, stood up and came eye to eye with a big black ball of fluff with two HUGE yellow eyes. Nearly screamed, just barely herded the rowdy lab pup out of the hay shed and toward home, came back out and checked the little scoundrel out and oh my goodness the cutest cat I've ever seen (only slightly more adorable than my own, probably because it's fluffy). At first glance it looked pretty healthy, and was SUPER friendly, meowed at me until I paid some attention, but once I petted it I found it super skinny with lots of flea bites, some blood in it's ears, quite sad. But it still crawled right onto my lap, purring and meowing, so OBVIOUSLY it's not a 'feral' cat, and my mom thinks it was probably dumped, they're suggesting 'registering' cats like we do dogs, and people have been dumping their pets everywhere the past little while, that or a lost runaway. Either way, I'm sure it's been in the hay shed for awhile as we haven't been in there for over a month, using up hay in the other barn. So nice, warm, soft, dark shed? Perfect spot for kitty (yes, I checked for milk and kittens, there are none THANKFULLY, we've had too many instances of stray litters or litters dumped on the side of the road). Anyway, I wish I had pictures, but I don't. Maybe tomorrow if she / he is still there in the morning. It's already eaten a full bowl of food, poor pathetic thing doesn't look like it can even hunt much, followed me around but was limping like it had bad hips.

Needless to say, if kitty sticks around it's going to be getting fed, dusted with something for fleas, probably get something for it's ears and if the SPCA will do it fixed, if not I'll save my pennies and get it done myself, lol. I've decided to call him / her Felix, andddd can you tell I'm already attached?

jinx1990 02-08-2013 05:29 AM

The strays make the best cats! I have a sweetheart who showed up a couple days before Christmas and she melts hearts left and right-her story got out and now 75% of her vet bills are paid by a local group. I don't know if you have anything like that where you are, but I'd look into it.
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 02-08-2013 10:47 AM

It's hard to not get attached. I'm a dog person through and through and would not own an indoor cat. But there are a number of stray cats where I work. I can't help but go out and put out some food for them. I guess its part of being an animal person.

FGRanch 02-08-2013 10:54 AM

Oh man I'd pee a little if I stood up and saw something that wasn't supposed to be there.

Critter sitter 02-08-2013 11:14 AM

if you feed him he will stay and you'll have a buddy for life. It is so sad people dump animals like that cats are so adaptable thats wht there are so many feral ones.

Darrin 02-08-2013 11:27 AM

My parents live next to a favorite dumping place, just far enough out of town people think they are in the country with a convenient place to pull over. Hundreds of animals have been dumped there over the years. Luckily mom has hooked up with a vet who will spay/neuter for free because it was getting a bit expensive. So far she's found homes for every one that survived the ordeal (not all have) and were catcheable.

GamingGrrl 02-08-2013 12:09 PM

Pictures?? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Catpeedontherug 02-08-2013 12:23 PM

Huh! I had the same exact thing happen this month!
My last kitty had passed away and I thought~ I'm not looking for another kitty, one will find me. They always do.
3 weeks later during a deep freeze a kitty limps out of the hen's roosting boxes.
Of course, the one that finds me is injured.

We call him Rooster now. It fits~ he starts crying for breakfast long before the sun comes up.
He has me trained very well.
I don't believe Rooster is completely feral~ just lost his way somewhere in life.
He'll be neutered when I get my tax returns.

Rooster continues to sleep in the roosting boxes. A hen on each side.

Tigo 02-08-2013 06:35 PM

We had a stray around our farm a couple months ago...a gorgeous orange tabby that I am certain was dropped off (in the dead of winter of course :-x ), he was much too friendly to be a feral cat. So, I popped him into a kennel and off to the humane society he went. He took the travel so well and the handling of the girl at the humane society. That's when I knew for sure he was dropped off. I hope he found a new home. In a matter of about 24 hours I fell in love with him but, unfortunately, couldn't keep him due to having 4 barn cats already and a dog that runs off/attacks the stray cats :-( .

Good on you for taking on Felix's care!! I hope that s/he sticks around (which, with a little food I wouldn't doubt that s/he will!). Good luck with Felix and you should post some pictures when you have a chance.

Fulford15 02-08-2013 06:43 PM

Sounds like a cutie, kudos to you :D My friend has acres and acres of land, someone kept just leaving cats on her door step... ended up with 16 of them!!! Too crazy! :shock: Gets expensive fixing all of them, hopefully in your case, it doesn't turn into a habit!

So many strays/unwanted animals out there... seems like in my area many animals get surrendered to the SPCA... the Fort McMurray SPCA is now over filled with cats & dogs, Edmonton SPCA had to take some. Such a shame to look on Kijiji and see how many unwanted puppies and kittens there are due to people that "don't have time" or "don't want", well why would you get an animal in the first place? Sorry just had to rant, I just read it in the paper today and upsets me! :lol: