The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   critique, riding the breaker (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-riding-breaker-152784/)

blue eyed pony 02-08-2013 08:39 AM

critique, riding the breaker

Please don't critique Magic, this video was of her fourth ride and she's going just how I want her at the moment. Once she's a bit better broke I'll work on picking her up in front and asking her to work into the bridle but for now I'm happy with plunking around.

But... ME. Is there anything I could/should be doing better, to help her out or to help ME stay on if she throws a fit? There are a few things I'm seeing that I could do better/differently, just wanting to know if anyone else sees the same things.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...e/IMG_0160.jpg
^ I am aware my helmet wasn't done up in above photo, it got done up as soon as I realized

michaelvanessa 02-08-2013 02:18 PM

rideing

she goes well nice paces for your self straighten your back and lower your heals.
hse is a nice looking horse.

Luce73 02-08-2013 03:16 PM

I am just a beginner, but in the picture you're looking down, and I think I saw it happening in the video a few times too (at the end). I do this a lot, and my trainer is always telling me to look up, I guess it is because I'm concentrating too much on what the horse is doing (looking at their head/ears). Could it be you do it since she is so green and you are focusing on her reactions to what you're asking of her? Again, in the video your head was not always visible, so I'm not sure if it is actually something that is an issue or it is just the picture and in the end when you go to praise her..

Canterklutz 02-08-2013 03:36 PM

That saddle fit is terrible. It looks way too wide and is sitting down on her withers.

tinyliny 02-08-2013 08:54 PM

how can you tell that saddle fit is bad from just that video?

Magic's 4th Ride - YouTube

at this place it didnt' look bad to me.

OP, bring your hands up, and get your thumbs on top. I know that youare trying to be soft on her mouth and encourage her to move freely and with her head down, perhaps. but don't try to get that to happen by YOU lowering your hand. your wrist is very broken and the bit/wrist/elbow line needs to stay straight. this will help you maintain what is already a pretty nice seat.

Canterklutz 02-08-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1885231)
how can you tell that saddle fit is bad from just that video?

Magic's 4th Ride - YouTube

at this place it didnt' look bad to me.

Yup def shows its off balance in the vid when they pass in front of the camera. In the picture too. It's too wide for her.

blue eyed pony 02-09-2013 12:28 AM

Photo that shows the saddle fit better:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...e/IMG_0154.jpg

She's very heavy on the forehand at the moment because of how green she is, which is always going to throw off how balanced the saddle appears. It's not perfect, but a gullet plate size narrower and it's definitely too narrow so there's not really a lot I can do, short of bugging the saddle fitter to call me back.

This particular make/model has a VERY high cantle, if cantle and pommel were level it would be severely too narrow and way too high in front. The deepest part of the seat is very nearly in the middle of the saddle when she's standing still, and moving without a rider, and the sweat marks are lovely and even [meaning no pressure points] so there's not a lot else I can do.

Thanks everyone, I will get my coach to yell at me more for my bad habits and keep them in mind more when I'm riding without her present. I thought I'd gotten the hands licked, but apparently not?

ponyface 02-10-2013 11:15 AM

in your original post you wondered how you could stay on if she throws a fit...i can definitely offer some advice for that. the best thing to do in the case of a skittish/spooky/generally fussy horse is to always be aware and try to learn some of the signs that she's about to act up. i don't know if her fits involve bucking, bolting, whatever, but the best thing you can do is stay centered and circle her until she calms down.

she's really cute, by the way ;) good luck with her

blue eyed pony 02-10-2013 12:09 PM

Thanks :) she hasn't thrown a fit under saddle yet but her tanties on the ground involve rearing and running backwards. That's one of the main reasons Im trying to establish forward above all else. If she's forward she can't rear.

She's funny. Highly reactive to scary things on the ground but the worst she's given me so far under saddle was a little quarter spin. Oh and a few crow hops during her second ride. She is SO easy to work with.
Posted via Mobile Device

blue eyed pony 02-11-2013 12:00 AM

Quick little question before I go out and ride. [probably in a rope halter this time, she has a rub mark on her lip from the bit; it does fit, doesn't pinch, is high quality, and as you can see from the video I'm really careful with her mouth, she just has extremely thin skin]

On her 5th ride I really concentrated on my hands/shoulders/sitting up straight/keeping my heels down, and I found it was utterly impossible to sit up straight with my shoulders back in my vest... I know said vest doesn't QUITE fit so was wondering if perhaps I would actually be better off without it now that we've gotten the first couple of rides out of the way?

That vest is quite restrictive, and I have come off in it from something that ordinarily I would have stayed on quite easily [don't worry, didn't land on the vest], but she IS still a breaker. Was thinking I might put it back on for her first three or four canters but other than that I don't really feel like I need it.