The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   New Horse Settling In (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/new-horse-settling-152794/)

5kiddos 02-08-2013 12:44 PM

New Horse Settling In

I am picking up my first horse on Saturday. He will be at a boarding facility in an individual paddock for now. Ultimately, I hope to move him to the pasture. Any tips on getting him settled into his new home?

AlexS 02-08-2013 03:16 PM

He'll settle in himself in no time at all, just make sure he has some hay to munch on and I bet he will be munching within a half hour.

usandpets 02-08-2013 03:43 PM

It would be best if they have it set up where he can "get to know" the horses he will be in with over a fence first.

There will always be some scuffles and minor nicks and bites at first. Those should settle down in a short while.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsesgs 02-08-2013 07:31 PM

i just wen through that. I had my horse in my out door arena (right by my horses field) and so they met eachother through that. He had worms when he came so it took a while longer before we could have them meet but when they did they did awesome so just let him settle in himself and he'll be fine!

Thunderspark 02-09-2013 01:19 AM

Best bet to introducing another horse to a herd is over a fence for a few days. Of course there will be the usual scuffling to show who's at the bottom....

PaintHorseMares 02-09-2013 06:16 AM

When you do move him into the pasture with the others, do it in the morning. You want to have time and daylight to keep an eye on things the first day and clean up/treat the cuts/scrapes/bites that always happen.

BBBCrone 02-09-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kiddos (Post 1884349)
Any tips on getting him settled into his new home?

Yes - pictures. And lots of them. They are required :wink:

MHFoundation Quarters 02-09-2013 09:36 AM

Since it's been covered, I'm with BBBCrone. Pictures, we need lots and lots of pictures. (It's not exactly a forum rule but it should be...)

5kiddos 02-10-2013 06:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, we got him to the barn on Saturday. Got a few pics today. He's pretty dirty, I guess that goes with the territory when owning a white horse :-) He is getting to know his neighbors in the runs next to his already. I think he will do just fine.

5kiddos 02-10-2013 06:57 PM

Oh yeah, he also has hardly any mane. Previous owner had cut if off to avoid dealing with the mud balls that get crusted into it every winter.