The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   Snow storm... (

Poneigh 02-08-2013 05:45 PM

Snow storm...
I hope you and your horses are all safe who are in the NE area...I am worried bc i dont know if i will be able to get out to see my horse and do his eye meds...he gets them twice per day...any advice, do you know if one day will matter? it is an anti inflammatory med.

ps sorry if this is the wrong place to post, i wasnt sure.

Wallaby 02-08-2013 05:51 PM

What are the eye meds for?

If they're for something like ERU, yes, I would be very concerned that he didn't get them for a day. Depending on the severity of the disease, that could be enough to cause a flare up.
If it is ERU, a way I can think of to perhaps protect a bit more, without you needing to be there, would be to stick a UV blocking flymask on him. Especially with snow, you want his eyes to be protected anyway!

DRichmond 02-08-2013 05:53 PM

I hope you can make it out to give his meds.

Poneigh 02-08-2013 06:00 PM

thanks...its for a deep stromal opacity, he will always be on the meds. The vet is closed so i cant ask her and so is the pharmacy but i think the pharmacy is opening tomorrow so i will try calling as soon as i can.
he will stay in all day most likely tomorrow so the wind/sun shouldnt be too bad on him.
i have a very tiny little car so hopefully i can make the drive out there! the girl who works there tomorrow will be out to feed/water but she is unable to give him his meds.

Poneigh 02-08-2013 06:01 PM

oh and i forgot to mention he wears a mask 24/7 per the vet (much to his dismay!!)
thanks for your advice!!

Copperhead 02-08-2013 06:05 PM

Can you park somewhere and walk the rest of the way? Sometimes you gotta do a bit more work to get to the barn when its needed.

Poneigh 02-08-2013 06:20 PM

i live about 20min away from the barn by car, so if i drive i will probably just drive the whole way. currently there is a driving ban in my state (havent been allowed to drive since today at 4p) so hopefully it is lifted by tomorrow not sure if they have decided when it is lifted yet. if not im not sure how the girl who works there will get out either! at least she has a truck for if it gets lifted :/

Poneigh 02-09-2013 10:57 AM

i tried calling the pharmacy and they said they werent able to give me advice since hes a horse not a person (he gets his scripts filled at a normal pharmacy in town) I tried calling the vet but they are closed...he has missed one dose before so hopefully I can get out there this far as I know the ban on driving is still in effect.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome