The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   a few leading problems... help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/few-leading-problems-help-152832/)

horsesgs 02-08-2013 07:27 PM

a few leading problems... help!

My horse Scout is a very good horse but when it comes to leading with someone on him or going into a trot he seems to get mad or confused. When someones on him (usually a kid) he keeps pushing on me and likes to nip at my shirt but I know if i discipline him the little kid will freak out. What should I do? Also when no one is on him and im leading him at a walk he's fine but it i try to trot he gets kind of excited and likes to push and me. suggestions?

Thunderspark 02-09-2013 01:23 AM

I would do some ground work with him, teach him to respect your space. When you lead him does he walk behind you........all my horses lead behind me and stay back. He's disrespecting you by nipping at your shirt and you should teach him not to do that without someone on his back.....

loosie 02-09-2013 01:42 AM

'When someone's on him OR going into a trot' sounds like it's more likely a pain issue than a leading problem. First thing I'd rule out is saddle fit issue. Also especially if his back's sore, regardless of a comfortable saddle, if someone's bouncing on his back at a trot, this will be annoying, at the least for him.

So, regardless of the issue, I wouldn't be putting kids on him & if you rule out pain/discomfort & conclude that it is indeed a behavioural thing, if you're frightened to discipline him when kids are aboard, don't put kids on him, but get a good working relationship going with him with an experienced rider first.

tinyliny 02-09-2013 03:53 AM

did you mean you trot alongside him? with the kind on board? is this a lesson situation?

As for him nipping you when he has a child on board, you will have to do your training with no child on board, so that you CAN discipline him enough that he decides to stop doing that. And, yes, he may get very upset and move around when you do that.

horsesgs 02-10-2013 10:37 PM

when a child is on him is the only time he ever does it so i put my older cousin on him the other day and she just held the horn while i disciplining him and i think he's learning. when i try to trot leading him i've been lunging him in a circle if he starts to nip or push on me. As for the pain thing I know for a fact its not that. He never acts like that when i'm on him.

Skyseternalangel 02-10-2013 10:45 PM

Sounds behavioral to me..

loosie 02-11-2013 07:06 AM

Agree with Sky, but have you considered that young inexperienced riders will be bouncing on his back at the trot? It's also possible that bouncing doesn't hurt him but worries or frightens him.

If he only does it with inexperienced, bouncy passengers & you do rule out it's not discomfort due to the bouncing/dead weight problem, you could put a little weight in a feedbag or such & tie that to the saddle for training.

Behaviourally, to be effective & understood, you need to reinforce or punish behaviours you want to affect *instantly* for the horse to understand what it's associated with. If you can't do it *at the time of* the behaviour, you must do it *within* a couple of seconds at worst. So I'd be looking to do something more timely than asking him to lunge after he's nipped at you.

horsesgs 02-11-2013 06:49 PM

i don't trot with little ones on but i agree with sky too. that's all it is.

Palomine 02-11-2013 11:43 PM

I would bet money that what is going on is that kid is kicking him or jiggling reins and that is making horse mad....I have had this happen with Kola, when did rides at charity things...I would be leading and the kid would be back there either jiggling, or kicking him.

If the only time he does this is then? I would stop doing any of it as not fair to horse.

But watch the kids is my suggestion.

horsesgs 02-12-2013 09:35 PM

well u lost your money cause i watch the kids and they don't have reins i just have a halter and lead rope LOL