The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Government STILL going through with shutting down Ontario racetracks.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/government-still-going-through-shutting-down-152878/)

Nokotaheaven 02-09-2013 05:41 AM

Government STILL going through with shutting down Ontario racetracks..

Yep.. They're still shutting down the tracks and hundreds of horses are being shipped to Quebec...

Shropshirerosie 02-09-2013 10:59 AM

Well, I am a horse racing fan, and it's one of the things that I really miss having moved from the UK.

But - I watched the link you posted and I learnt that the racing industry has (in Ontario) been subsidised by slot machines at the tracks and that without the slots the race tracks won't be profitable.

So it's not THE GOVERNMENT closing the race tracks, it's that the tracks just don't run a sustainable business without subsidy from other gambling. If not enough people want to go to the races to keep all those racetracks open, that's not the fault of the government.

The fault may lie with the racetrack owners for not working to make the sport more enjoyable and accessible. Or it may be no-one's fault and just a reflection of the changing face of society.

When all those tracks opened the rural society had no Internet, little or No television, and frankly, not much to entertain themselves apart for animal racing! Now there are other options and racing must compete.

Slot machines encourage low level compulsive gambling which can bleed the wealth out of the poorest in society. That's a whole different discussion, but. I mentioned that because an argument to out them IN to racetracks in mass numbers would ring a lot of alarm bells with me because of the negative impact on society.

The racing industry needs to look TO ITSELF to solve it's economic problems and bring more punters in. If that means closing some racecourses and concentrating on making the remaining ones a place that a family would want to go for a day out then that is probably a good thing for the long term.

Nakotaheaven, how is your horse?

Joe4d 02-09-2013 12:59 PM

i dont download videos, but seems Shrop is on it. Tracks need to get the seedy elements out of the tracks that are chasing away customers. Terminology like "betting parlors" are just a turnoff and give them a slimy feel.

WSArabians 02-09-2013 01:22 PM

I tried to feel bad about losing horse racing but... Almost... Maybe... Yeah, no, can't feel bad.
Shutting down government funded gambling addiction? Can't feel bad about that either.
Racing isn't about the horses, it's about the cash.

Racing isn't the end of the line for TB's. They do just fine in Dressage or Jumping or Sport Horse, etc. But, it isn't really about them.

Her whole sob story about having the rug pulled out from under her? Please. People have to start over ALL THE TIME. I'm doing it right now.
Just because you have to start over, doesn't mean you're going to end up on welfare. If you do, that's your own fault. Get out and do something - it's tough, but it's not the end of the world.