The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Relaxing Before a Show (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/relaxing-before-show-152888/)

horselover3278 02-09-2013 07:58 AM

Relaxing Before a Show

During the summer im going to be competing not just locally but in a MUCH bigger competition and up against much more......experienced riders and horses and im kinda nervous.... :s What are some tricks or ideas that can help me relax?
( PS: IM SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!!! :D)
Thanks!

busysmurf 02-09-2013 08:22 AM

The best I can say is practice practice practice. That way you know you did the best you could. Give yourself plenty of time to get ready.

Imagine your ride. Actually close your eyes & watch unfold. As you're waiting to go in take deep breaths.

I personally tend to goof around a lot before I go in which helps. If I mess something up, I can often be seen smirking, shaking my head, & chuckling. I try to wait until the judge isn't looking, but sometimes it was just to bad, lol. I'M HAVING A GOOD TIME REGARDLESS!! I'd say 95% of the time the judges appreciate the "I take this seriously, but I don't have a stick up my a**" mentality. But to be that relaxed has taken quite a few yrs.

Hope that helped a little, good luck, AND HAVE FUN!!! Oh, & let us know how you did (uummmm pics are preferred, lol)
Posted via Mobile Device

natisha 02-09-2013 10:56 AM

beer..:wink:

Brighteyes 02-09-2013 12:43 PM

I like to imagine all the things that could go wrong in my mind and invision myself correcting them perfectly and going on to have an amazing ride. :wink:

And beer. Beer helps a lot.

Saddlebag 02-09-2013 06:29 PM

I was never nervous. I don't know why, but I did do my homework starting months before the show. I would then do the course in my mind. We can do all the preparation possible but it the gods aren't with us that day they will favor someone else. Don't ever falter. One of those horses you are worried about may be having an off day or spooks so think only of what you and your horse can do and no one elses.Before you go in the ring repeat "we can do this" over and over like a favorite song. That will pump up your confidence and your horse will feel that.

HarpersMom 03-31-2013 02:45 AM

Visualizing really works! Picture a great ride!!!

But also try some deep breathing or meditation. You can find some cool guided relaxation meditations on iTunes now - put one on your iPod and sit with your eyes closed and breathe! It will help slow your heart rate and settle those butterflies in your stomach!

Saddlebag 04-02-2013 10:27 AM

I am also going to recommend you focus on how you can keep your horse comfortable at the show. Spend as much time with him as possible as you are the only familiar thing there. Invest in a pair of coveralls that you can slip over your clothing and take a chair into the stall. The more relaxed he is the better it will go.