The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Trying to figure out the breed??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/trying-figure-out-breed-152907/)

Dezisa 02-09-2013 12:17 PM

Trying to figure out the breed???

We just bought a horse. He is a tri-color paint about 18 years old according to the vet. He has huge legs but not draft size. And a jug head. Hes like 15.1 hands.

i looked thru many pics and the closest i found to his leg size looked like donkey legs...or cow legs. His hoofs are not huge but they are not little either.

I was just looking to see if anyone knew what breeds(besides drafts) that have these HUGE legs. It looks like he could carry a 400lb person NO PROBLEM... Maybe not that big really but his legs just amaze me:)

Any insight would be greatly appriciated!!

Thank you

lilruffian 02-09-2013 12:20 PM

He's probably a cross, though photos would be a big help!
If he is indeed a draft cross, then he would techincally be a Pinto, not a Paint, as Paints can only be of Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred breeding ;)

Cat 02-09-2013 12:32 PM

We have a pinto draft cross - well you can't tell he is pinto now unless you look closely because grey took over - but he has good thick legs. The cross can make them smaller than purebred drafts.

Dezisa 02-09-2013 12:37 PM

not sure ill post pics in a few minutes they will not be of great quality

I do not think he is cross with a draft because he is little besides his muscular legs and chest. But I am totally at a loss for what he may be crossed with.

I have heard mustang or morgan but neither of those breeds tend to display those huge muscluar legs that rocky has...

So I am at a loss

Dezisa 02-09-2013 12:44 PM

pics

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 128924Attachment 128925

Well here he is:) We payed very little money for him. He was more of a rescue project than anything else!!

DraftyAiresMum 02-09-2013 12:48 PM

He looks like a draft cross to me. Or just a really thick paint. Some of the stock-type old school paints are thick like that.

Also, being nitpicky, but he's a bay pinto/paint, not a tri-color.

Cat 02-09-2013 12:49 PM

At 15.1 he is only 2 inches shorter than our draft cross and there is a Morgan X Percheron in town that is only 14.3 hands. From what I can see in the pics he could be draft cross. They are not the greatest quality though.

Cat 02-09-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1886034)

Also, it's a nitpicky thing, but I'd be willing to bet he's a bay pinto, not a true tri-color (which are relatively rare, whereas bay pintos aren't).
Posted via Mobile Device

Genetically what is a tri-color then? I've always known bay or buckskin pintos as tri-colors. What else is there genetically to produce a tri-color?

DraftyAiresMum 02-09-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 1886045)
Genetically what is a tri-color then? I've always known bay or buckskin pintos as tri-colors. What else is there genetically to produce a tri-color?

I don't know the exact genetics (I believe it has to do with chimerism, though), but a tri-color has white with distinct patches of two different colors (usually chestnut and black). The black will be anywhere on the body other than where it would be for a bay or buckskin. There's a classic picture of a tri-color pinto that looks like a regular chestnut pinto in front and has a large black patch on its butt. I'd find the pic and post it, but I don't know how from my phone. A bay or buckskin pinto is just that-a bay or buckskin pinto.
Posted via Mobile Device

This isn't the pic I was thinking of, but it workshttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=320&bih=416&tbm=isch&spell= 1&q=tricolor+paint+horse&sa=X&ei=wo8WUfHmC6eoiAL9n YCgDA&ved=0CDkQBSgA#i=8

. Here's another: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=320&bih=416&tbm=isch&spell= 1&q=tricolor+paint+horse&sa=X&ei=wo8WUfHmC6eoiAL9n YCgDA&ved=0CDkQBSgA#i=15

Dezisa 02-09-2013 01:16 PM

So according to another forum I'm a redneck hick

I did not know the difference between the two, I only know what I have been told/taught. Lol, which let me tell you i have had to pick through with a fine tooth comb, because of all of the bs I have been force fed..

I learn more everyday and I do like hearing new info. I am not being mean here, so don't think that. I was just wondering peoples thoughts on what Rocky may or may not be!! I thank everyone of you for your input.

Oh and just to let everyone know...Not everyone who says tri-color is a fool. I will where the redneck tag anyday:) I am very proud of who I am!!!