The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique me and my horse jumping at our first show together!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-me-my-horse-jumping-our-152917/)

jenniferw 02-09-2013 02:13 PM

Critique me and my horse jumping at our first show together!?

Hey everyone,
I have posted many photos of this horse and have been getting critiques on him, and many people say that he is much too thin. However, I would like you all to watch him jump and tell me what you think. Also, what do you think of his form, and my form as well?
thanks a bunch

Jenn

PunksTank 02-09-2013 05:34 PM

Alright I'll start :) First of all you both look lovely together and a huge congratulations on winning :)

My first nit-pick is you have some very rigid hands, a solid death grip on his mouth with a pretty darn strong bit. A few times he gets upset and offers a good head toss. He's clearly worked up and excited to get going. I think what would benefit you both some would be easing back on the heavy bit and practicing walk/trot trot/walk walk/canter canter/walk trot/canter canter/trot transitions, a billion of them using as little rein as possible - first without jumps then when you feel he's transitioning like a doll with you just shifting your weight in the saddle add a jump, then gradually add more. You're clearly relying a great deal on your hands to control him.
To add to that - when you're jumping I see almost no release at all, you're hands are just barely an inch out of your lap over the jumps. I'd like to see your hands much higher up his neck over the jumps. He's checking himself in the mouth every time he tries to jump.

I think you are both lovely and did a great job, but I think you need to work on softer hands - and hopefully eventually move the reins up a ring or two on the bit. Practice your transitions until he's reading your mind -regardless of the bit :)

Live2Ride15 02-13-2013 09:59 PM

Congrats on the win!! You two look great together!
I can only say a few things. Your shoulders arms and hands all look stiff or tense.
it looks like you are not releasing over the jump at all.

I can't say much on him because of the angles and how fast he is going I can't focus in. But from what I can tell he has a nice jump to him. He seems to tucks his knees in over some of the jumps!

Good luck on any future shows!!!