The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Diet or Excersize? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/diet-excersize-152923/)

farmpony84 02-09-2013 03:51 PM

Diet or Excersize?

1 Attachment(s)
I tacked up for the first time in three weeks. Things didn't go as story book as I would have liked, the wind is gusting about 35 mph today and it's cold outside. My ring is really wet and my brother has all his dog jumps and hoops all over it.

My western saddle barely fit!

Is he as over weight as I'm thinking he is? Should I cut back on his grain or do you think it will work itself out once I start riding again? Once the weather cooperates I'll generally ride about 4 to 5 times per week......

He's so fat!

Spitfire080905 02-09-2013 03:56 PM

My mare is over weight right now. She always put on an extra few pounds in winter, then burns them off as soon as summer hits. Your horse doesnt look that fat just a bit overweight. Cut back on grain and work a bit more and you should get that weight off quickly.

farmpony84 02-09-2013 09:07 PM

I was a little miffed at him today because he was hiding from the trolls and the goblins hiding in the world but hopefully tomorrow he'll ride better and I'll get some fat to start burning.

I new he was getting a little large for his 81" blanket but I didn't realize it was all fat!!!!!

waresbear 02-09-2013 09:19 PM

He isn't that fat but he isn't in shape either. In fact his condition looks about like my horses. That will change now that the worst part of winter is over with, right? I just got back to riding my guys regularly as well, finally had my arena plowed, had a foot of snow in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 02-09-2013 09:27 PM

I had a hard time riding today because the rail was so wet it was slippery even for a trot. I side-passed and did some small stuff but my brother had so much of his dog stuff in the way it was crazy. I moved his jumps all off to the side and set up a little course for him, removed my cavellettis and jumps but left his weave poles and tire-hoop thing, and I left my trot poles so now I have a nice dry area to work with (tomorrow). Today was a bust...

He says he's going to set up some jumps at my moms house and then some at his house so that as he does his walk he can run his dog through courses anywhere. She's getting to where she doesn't want to come down my driveway because the work is here, which is why he moved the jumps from his house to mine.... spoiled dog.

waresbear 02-09-2013 09:33 PM

You are a very nice sister! No way would anyone monopolize my arena with DOG jumps!
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 02-09-2013 09:36 PM

LOL... If he wasn't such a likeable guy I would never allow DOG jumps in my ring! But as it is, with my husband traveling so often, he has been forced to change bandages on horses, swap out hoses, fix fences....but on top of that... he has a standing Friday night x-box date with my 9 year old so.... I guess I can deal w/ a few dog jumps... (more than a few)........

farmpony84 02-10-2013 06:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
He was such a good boy today. I mean... he was my awesome super sweet boy! (his canter is a little wonky though).

I had to drop a hole on my girth though. He's going on a diet. His neck is so huge... Would he look ridiculous if I roached him?

I bought him a new blankie because his was looking tight. That's an 81" It was as big as they had... I think I maybe could go up one size?

waresbear 02-10-2013 06:32 PM

Ok, he does look a bit of fluffy side of fat, but not a whole lot. How was the ride today? I had sunshine city, almost blinded me from the glare off the snow.

ETA - I wouldn't roach, it's looks perfect for banding as it is.

farmpony84 02-10-2013 06:59 PM

He was really good. Our English trot was a bit icky, he was off in the beginning but worked out of it (normal for him). Our jog was much better, he set his head and rounded, was fairly consistent. Our lope was just ok to the right but to the left it started out really broken and then went really heavy on the front and in the end was a pretty good English canter but there was something wonky going on. Of course it was our first real ride in three weeks so I'm not complaining.

Of course I was reading the paper and they are saying snow next week. That really makes me mad!!!!!!!