The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Staying Safe (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/staying-safe-152925/)

MAG1723 02-09-2013 04:52 PM

Staying Safe

Are there any tips we can give each other on how to stay safe on the trails? Anything like what to bring, wear, or what your horse should wear? Thanks everyone!:lol::lol:

PunksTank 02-09-2013 05:32 PM

One big thing I've always been told, is never carry a whip or use spurs while on a trail ride - should you be attacked (by a person) those tools could be used against you or your horse.
If a stranger approaches you - whether you think they're safe or not, tell them your horse bites and/or kicks - to dissuade any potential threat.

Always carry extra water, a flashlight if you can, your cell phone, extra cash and your ID. I'm sure others will have more to add to this list.
Oh and of COURSE wear a helmet!! It may be "just" a trail, but the landing may be far worse than a soft arena floor.
Make sure you're wearing enough clothes in cooler weather, you can always take layers off.

Taffy Clayton 02-09-2013 06:00 PM

I always put splint boots on my horse, not so much for him, but they can be used to splint or brace a broken bone on a person. I figured this out after I fell off and broke my arm way out on the trail and I had nothing to splint it with. I took off my t-shirt and wrapped it tightly around my wrist and rode home shirtless, thank goodness I had a nice sports bra on.

FlyGap 02-09-2013 06:27 PM

28 Attachment(s)
I always carry duct tape, a pocket knife, extra rope, flashlight, a lifestraw, cheap rain poncho, lighter, and sandwiches. Halter and lead rope on and run through the pommel, I could care less what others think it looks like. It has come in handy.

Always call someone and let them know what, where, and when you're riding and when you will be expected home. Set up a check in time, then a second, and call for backup on the third if the calls go unanswered! LOL!

ilovepets 02-09-2013 06:30 PM

Well PunksTank, i am very guilty of bringing a crop on trail rides, but only because my horse wont listen when i kick.. but the way i see it, a person cant out run a cantering horse, and who says i wouldnt use it on them first? ;-)!! it is something to think about though..

adding to the list:
- RIDE IN PAIRS!!! safety in numbers people!
- helmet always
- ride only on trails that you know or that are easy to follow and marked. the last thing you want is to get lost in the woods
- wear bright colors to be seen easily by other riders or hunters if it is hunting season
- i dont personally carry a whistle, but i would be helpful it you were separated
- if the trail looks unsafe, do not continue on that trail

this will be a useful thread :-)

PaintHorseMares 02-09-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovepets (Post 1886406)
- ride only on trails that you know or that are easy to follow and marked. the last thing you want is to get lost in the woods
- if the trail looks unsafe, do not continue on that trail

I ride mainly off trail and these are two situations in which you always trust your horse.
It is easy to get turned around in the woods..if you do get lost, let your horse lead. They have a great sense of direction and know the way home.
If our mares stop in the woods, I always get off to look around because they see something that I don't. They've kept me out of a lot of half buried old barbed wire cattle fences.
Posted via Mobile Device

MAG1723 02-09-2013 08:02 PM

I know I always bring a hoof pick, Lead, Some kind of wrap or boot should the horse get injured, Phone, an extra sweater, and one or two water bottles.

MAG1723 02-09-2013 08:04 PM

I can only Imagine if I were you that day, Taffy Clayton. That is really smart! I would have never thought of that.

Catpeedontherug 02-09-2013 08:30 PM

baling twine
zip ties
knife
compass/ maps (if available for that area)
hoof pic
snack/beverage
helmet

Bellasmom 02-09-2013 10:46 PM

Zip ties, leatherman, snacks, water, handgun (generally loaded with snake shot).