The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Horse temperament :) (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/horse-temperament-152932/)

Farmgirl4020 02-09-2013 05:32 PM

Horse temperament :)

I have a quick question. Are paints generally docile? What about appys, thoroughbreds, appendixes? I know it depends on each horse lol but I'm thinking about getting a new horse and if Anyone owns a horse of one of these breeds will you please comment and tell me what their general temperament is please. I really appreciate it. Just doing my research for a new barrel horse :) . Or if you know of any other breeds besides quarter horses and the above breeds will you please let me know? Thanks! :)

SorrelHorse 02-09-2013 06:21 PM

I would really suggest basing your judgement on the horses you go to look at.

A barrel horse, of any breed, will generally be stronger than other horses. Even my mare, dead broke and calm (QH) gets strong and hot in the barrel pen. Of course you get some as well that won't be.

You answered your own question...it depends on each horse.

Phly 02-09-2013 06:40 PM

Yeah it's definitely on a horse by horse situation. Though some are bodied more so for barrels then others. Also training and handling plays greatly into how "hot" a horse will be. I own and ride a grade TB and he's very laid back, usually. I have worked him on the patterns a few slow times and he flexes good.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 02-09-2013 06:46 PM

Yes it greatly depends. For instance my trainer owns 5 quarter horses 2 are bred to the hills for speed and in turn they are two hot headed ladies although they are generally level headed. Now her other two are more stocky cow/reining/ranch type and definitely calmer and take more pushing. Then there is her halter/pleasure gelding who isn't necessarily hot but strong willed and can be one scary boy when he gets nervous. So yeah don't just try and determine his now wait till you meet tge actual horses. As my trainers running bred quarters are far more level headed at times then most 4-5 yr olds.

beau159 02-11-2013 10:54 AM

Depends.

You cannot judge a book by its cover, or in this case, by its breed.

You'll have to ask the seller about the horse's individual personality to see if the horse is the more laid back kind.

For example: I have two quarter horses. One is going to be 7 and one is going to be 2. My 7-yr-old is like the energizer bunny. Load of energy, never wants to stand still, etc. Whereas my 2-yr-old is like a sloth. Lazy, quiet, easy going. Nothing bothers him. Both horses are bred to be good barrel horses. But they are completely opposite.

You simply cannot generalize a breed, because each horse is so different.