The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Suggested Hand for My Height and Weight (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/suggested-hand-my-height-weight-152952/)

WelcomeMyWelsh 02-09-2013 07:04 PM

Suggested Hand for My Height and Weight

I am currently 5' 5'' and 115 lbs. What is the minimum hands my horse should be? I just want to be sure I don't hurt my horse.

Phly 02-09-2013 07:07 PM

Honestly? You could ride just about anything. Height has less to do with capacity then build.
Posted via Mobile Device

WelcomeMyWelsh 02-09-2013 07:14 PM

Thanks! I am also very slender. If I happen to fall. How do I fall "correctly"?

Cat 02-09-2013 07:15 PM

People are way too caught up in how many hands their horse is or should be - which is funny because most people don't even have an accurate height on their horse. Most are over estimated. Build matters way more.

But like Phyl said - you could ride just about anything you are comfortable on at that weight.

BarrelracingArabian 02-09-2013 07:16 PM

up i am just under 5'5 at 110-115 and ive ridden from 14.0 lighter build ( which for me was a little uncomfortable) upto 16.3. While i prefer taller as long as they are wider and I am comfortable with how i feel size wise on them I'll ride anything :). My new gelding is about 14.3 not very wide but not little either.

WelcomeMyWelsh 02-09-2013 07:19 PM

How long ago did you get your gelding? Also is it easier to ride a gelding than a mare? Or does the gender not matter?

BarrelracingArabian 02-09-2013 07:31 PM

I just bought him Wednesday but I've been riding horses under 15 hands for the past 3 years my trainers gelding I've been riding is barely 14.2 i believe but he is a stocky boy.

It honestly depends I've ridden both and really don't have a preference personally. I love my trainers horses in general ,mares and geldings a like, training has a lot to do with it but some horses of both genders will have personalities you just don't work well with, either suck it up or move on to another horse.

WelcomeMyWelsh 02-09-2013 07:39 PM

I was just wondering because some say Mares are very difficult to ride but, I have a mare and she's an absolute jem under saddle.

Phly 02-09-2013 07:44 PM

Falling takes years of practice!!!! I've been falling, crashing, and generally eating dirt for near 30yrs. After a while, you natural reaction is self preservation and it just happens lol. But back to horse hieght vs mass for a rider, I'm 6' 170ish. I ride our 14.2 QP and she don't mind a bit. But she STOCKY Though when I ride in daughters saddle I look like a jocky on a mini! It's halarious.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 02-09-2013 07:45 PM

Yeah it really is a case by case as well as person by person. I know my trainers big show gelding hates woman but is an absolute doll for her nonhorsey husband hah. Oh and the falling thing I got into a habit of rolling into a ball when i come off but it has caused serious problems with my back. Im not sure there is a right way to fall haha.