The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cross Ties (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cross-ties-152978/)

ArabLover1999 02-09-2013 10:07 PM

Cross Ties

Sorry for all the questions! I've got lots of em! xD

So, my horse King always kinda moves around a lot when he's cross tied. Especially when he's standing for more than 15 minutes. It's not that he doesn't behave or anything, it's just that he keeps stepping around when i groom him. So anyway, one of the boarders told me that if i put him there for an hour or so a few times a week, that it will help him get used to being tied for longer periods of time.

Is this okay? And I wouldn't leave him there alone though

So what's your opinion?

Saddlebag 02-09-2013 10:55 PM

Horses often feel trapped when tied, especially in cross ties. I don't like them as horses have flipped over backward and had to be euthanized. When he gets restless why not take the time to walk out of the barn with him then try again.

Shropshirerosie 02-09-2013 11:25 PM

If he's moving it's because he's bored or cross. Groom him, tack him up, then get him out and ride him.

In the UK horses are almost never cross tied, they are just tied to one tie ring, and if being left for any length of time will probably be given a hay net. Whilst I am SURE there are good reasons for cross ties.... I haven't worked out what they are yet. I have a lovely cross-tie set up in my barn here that I never use. I just tie up my old English way and let em get on with it.

If they fidget whilst I'm grooming I give them a shove and tell them to stand still. Otherwise it's no big deal to me.

Tessa7707 02-10-2013 12:06 AM

IMO, it's good for a fidgety horse to stand tied for a long time. I'd prefer to tie to a hitching rail, at or above wither height, tied to baling twine. I have also heard success stories with the Aussie tie rings, but haven't personally tried them. Seems to remove a lot of anxiety with the actual being tied, but that doesn't sound like your problem. If a horse is fidgety while tied, I'll get him out first, tie him up, and then go about my business working other horses and doing chores and keep an eye on him, but let him stand tied there for a while. If he moves while you're grooming, move him right back to where you had him. If he takes a step forward, make him take a step back. Horses can stand tied for many hours, the experienced ones cock a leg and fall asleep, the fidgety ones learn that fidgeting wont get them anywhere, and they may as well do the same, cock a leg and fall asleep.

ArabLover1999 02-10-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tessa7707 (Post 1887126)
If a horse is fidgety while tied, I'll get him out first, tie him up, and then go about my business working other horses and doing chores and keep an eye on him, but let him stand tied there for a while. If he moves while you're grooming, move him right back to where you had him. If he takes a step forward, make him take a step back. Horses can stand tied for many hours, the experienced ones cock a leg and fall asleep, the fidgety ones learn that fidgeting wont get them anywhere, and they may as well do the same, cock a leg and fall asleep.

Thank you so much! I don't think he'd been cross tied much before i bought him, so i guess i have a little work to do! :-)

Super Nova 02-10-2013 11:28 AM

Cross tying is the most dangerous form of tying a horse. I tie to one ring that is located above the horses head plus I also use the clip. I left my horse tied for an hour several times a week when she was young it was the best lesson I ever taught her.......she is great while tied. The trick is not to reward the fidgeting......always untie when they have been quiet for a bit.

Super Nova

JeepnGirl 02-10-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tessa7707 (Post 1887126)
IMO, it's good for a fidgety horse to stand tied for a long time. I'd prefer to tie to a hitching rail, at or above wither height, tied to baling twine. I have also heard success stories with the Aussie tie rings, but haven't personally tried them. Seems to remove a lot of anxiety with the actual being tied, but that doesn't sound like your problem. If a horse is fidgety while tied, I'll get him out first, tie him up, and then go about my business working other horses and doing chores and keep an eye on him, but let him stand tied there for a while. If he moves while you're grooming, move him right back to where you had him. If he takes a step forward, make him take a step back. Horses can stand tied for many hours, the experienced ones cock a leg and fall asleep, the fidgety ones learn that fidgeting wont get them anywhere, and they may as well do the same, cock a leg and fall asleep.

I completely agree with Tessa.Untying a horse and taking them out or something is the fastest way to teach them *not* to stand quietly while tied. In fact, it'll teach them that every time they move around they get untied and do something else. It's enabling the wrong thing, not the right thing, which is to stand nicely while tied up.
I will go out and randomly tie up my horses for whatever periods of time. 5 minutes or over an hour. They will stay there longer if they are pawing or doing something other than falling asleep. I can find lots of things in and around my barn that need to get done. So that's when they will get tied up.
Aussie Blocker rings do work. I had this mare that tied fine for years, then all of the sudden decided to through a fit and yank back, breaking the lead snap. She realized what she did to get loose, and then stared setting back *every* time tied. I got 3 Blocker rings for use in the trailers, barn, etc. She couldn't figure out why she was still tied when she jerked back now. So she quit. And then would purposely try to scare her while tied with the Blockers and she's set back and pull, but she never ended up pulling the rope all the way through. Eventually I could ride by with the four-wheeler fast and she'd just stand there....

I used cross ties a couple of times. I didn't really like it. My horse couldn't look around very comfortably. Not mover her feet, just bend her neck. So we just tie with a single lead, like I've always done.

Mochachino 02-10-2013 02:36 PM

In order to leave the cross ties mine has to stand quiet. The time for standing quiet will depend on your horse. When we started it was 10 seconds only :shock:, but over time the time to stand quiet lengthened, now he stands quiet all the time, as he knows THAT is the only thing that will get him out of them. I use them rarely now, generally tie to a hitching post, but do use them if I need to, and I think it is a good skill to teach them. Who knows when you might need to use them.