The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Lessons while keeping my horse at home?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/lessons-while-keeping-my-horse-home-153010/)

Eventin 02-10-2013 09:17 AM

Lessons while keeping my horse at home??

So I've wanted a horse for a long time now, I'm 15, responsible and I've been riding since I was 6. I've almost bought a horse 3 times, but at the last minute my mom always second guesses herself and her decisions and say no. But she always tells me to keep looking, incase the right horse were to show up, now I've found that right horse! This horse is perfect for me! So I started talking to the owner while doing research, the barn that I ride at twice a week, has a very expensive board and it's about a 30 minute drive, so there's no way I'd be able to go everyday. So I've started looking into other options, and found that home boarding is much less expensive (in some ways) and I could probably board with my neighbor's two horses at my neighbor's house. It's about a 5 minute walk from my house or a two minute bike.

Now I've run into the lesson problem, how would I take lessons on my new horse if she's not at my barn? Would I just ride at my barn on their horses and then apply that to my horse when I ride her at home? My trainer doesn't travel as far as I know, she spends all day everyday at the barn.

Thanks!

JustImagine 02-10-2013 09:43 AM

You could always have your horse trailered to your barn once a week for lessons; I used to do that. Or if that's not an option, see if there's a different trainer more in your area that would be willing to come to you and give you lessons. It's never a bad idea to have more than 1 trainer =] It's always good to have a trainer see you and your horse together at least a few times, too.