The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation/Body Build (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-body-build-153027/)

HarleyGirl 02-10-2013 12:04 PM

Conformation/Body Build

2 Attachment(s)
I have a picture of my horse Harley. I was wondering what all you guys think of him as far as conformation, body build, and some people say a horse isn't built for what they want. What do you think he is built for? Share your thoughts

FGRanch 02-10-2013 12:44 PM

These pictures of impossible to tell anything. I can say he looks underweight and upright in his front pasterns.

Endiku 02-10-2013 08:56 PM

Definitely in need of some weight and muscle. You need pictures with his head up and his legs square as well.

I can tell you though that his shoulder is steep, his withers high, pasterns short, and something is off about his knees. Looks like he has a really nice, deep heart girth though, and his back legs don't look too bad.

I'm guessing he's a Thoroughbred? If so he has completely typical conformation. He's built to race, fast, but not far. You do whatever you want with him but you need to be mindful of his limitations and please get some weight on him and condition him slowly before doing anything with him. He's very cute and I'm sure you don't want to hurt him. He also looks like a Senior, but that could be from a poor coat. How old is he? The older he is, the more time he's going to need to condition for things that are strenuous. Doesn't mean he cant do them though if his joints are in good order.

HarleyGirl 02-11-2013 10:11 PM

Harley isn't a thouroubred he is appaloosa. He is 9 and this pic is from summer and he has gained more weight since then. I will get newer pics soon
Thanks for all your input!

lilruffian 02-12-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1888355)
I'm guessing he's a Thoroughbred? If so he has completely typical conformation. He's built to race, fast, but not far.

Did you perhaps mean Quarter Horse. Thoroughbreds are bred to run fast and far, and to me he doesn't really look alot like one. He looks more like a Quarter horse or Appy breeding.
As for conformation, he has a very deep chest
cannot really say about his shoulder angle without him standing square on level ground
Nice, thick front legs
Appears to be built downhill in those photos
Longish back
Short, steep slope to the croup and hindquarters need muscling
Hard to say about the back legs

Faceman 02-12-2013 06:40 PM

I have to disagree a bit with Endiku on this one. His muscle composition reflects a high percentage of slow twitch fiber, and his chest is quite deep, both of which bespeak endurance more than performance. But he is big boned, and like a lot of Appys, is probably pretty versatile, although he is underweight and out of condition...

goneriding 02-12-2013 09:26 PM

Short pasterns and tad rough coupled but overall from the pictures not bad.

tinyliny 02-12-2013 09:49 PM

I was going to say Appy even before the OP mentioned that. he is a tank! I think he's well put together , except maybe the couplling is a bit narrow. I agree with Face ( a rarity, but it happens). he's a well built Appy that could go for miles!