The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Are you in 4-WD when hauling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/you-4-wd-when-hauling-153035/)

Beling 02-10-2013 01:29 PM

Are you in 4-WD when hauling?

We've only used 4WD when getting out of slick/muddy spots, in low gear.

But now I'm wondering if we should be in 4WD when going down hills? We put the truck in 1st or 2nd; but still need to use the brakes a lot (speed bumps).

In general, what do you think? And would that be 4WD "high" or "low"?

usandpets 02-10-2013 01:50 PM

They say that 4wd does not help braking but I beg to differ. It does help some in icy or slippery conditions. On dry, clean roads it does not.

Normal hauling in good conditions I would not use 4wd. A lot more wear and tear on the vehicle and worse gas mileage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darrin 02-10-2013 04:16 PM

Completely depends on your situation but generally no. If you are on pavement (even wet pavement) then don't do it. With snow or ice it's ok or if on dirt/gravel.

4wd high will help you steer, does not help with braking. If you are in low you will likely end up using less brakes due to gearing, just wont be going as fast. But you can generally do the same thing by shifting down a gear or two.

Delfina 02-10-2013 04:34 PM

The manual for my truck says that extended use of 4WD on clean, dry roads will cause damage to the vehicle.

I have no idea, that sentence just scared me enough that I've only ever used my 4WD on icy/snowy roads or really muddy dirt roads.

Palomine 02-10-2013 05:02 PM

There should be a tow package to use, but don't use 4WD unless terrain or conditions need it.

CLaPorte432 02-10-2013 05:36 PM

We have a tow package on our truck. And we have this automatic brake system installed into our truck that slows the trailer down when going down hills and when we brake. So the trailer has its own set of brakes. Works really well.

Ive never hauled a trailer in 4WD unless the roads are bad. And if thats the case, i stay off of them
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 02-10-2013 06:32 PM

OP, I think I understand what your asking, basically you want to use the 4WD like a splitter and use it like a lower gear than what your truck has?

I am curious what truck/trailer combination you have.

gunslinger 02-10-2013 08:22 PM

Most 4 wheel drive systems need a little slip when turning. Pavement, or rather, turning on pavement while in 4 wheel drive, can damage the front end drive components.

That said, 4 wheel drive needs to be engaged and ran on a somewhat frequent basis as this keeps the seals and other parts properly lubricated.

If you're pulling on gravel that's a perfect time to engage it. Use it every once in awhile just to make sure everything works and to let it turn a little.

Hard surfaces with lots of grip.....no, don't use it.

NorthernMama 02-10-2013 09:28 PM

4WD will not give you greater braking power. It gives you one more wheel to move the vehicle with. The brakes either work properly and you have enough, or not. Check the brakes on your trailer and your vehicle. Your trailer brakes should be able to stop the trailer and the truck brakes stop the truck.

When travelling a very hilly road, slow down before starting down the hill and speed up well before starting up the hill. The steeper and longer the hill, the more you have to prepare before driving it.

Delfina 02-10-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunslinger (Post 1888278)
Most 4 wheel drive systems need a little slip when turning. Pavement, or rather, turning on pavement while in 4 wheel drive, can damage the front end drive components.

That said, 4 wheel drive needs to be engaged and ran on a somewhat frequent basis as this keeps the seals and other parts properly lubricated.

If you're pulling on gravel that's a perfect time to engage it. Use it every once in awhile just to make sure everything works and to let it turn a little.

Hard surfaces with lots of grip.....no, don't use it.

That's good to know!

Now I haul very, very, very infrequently but live on dirt/gravel roads. Would it be ok to engage the 4WD without towing for that purpose?