The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Need opinions on my horses hooves (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/need-opinions-my-horses-hooves-153110/)

lightning 02-11-2013 03:51 AM

Need opinions on my horses hooves

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 129225

Attachment 129226

Attachment 129227

Attachment 129228

Please tell me what you think of my horse's hooves.

I have used the same farrier for the last 8 months. She was barefoot and had really bad feet when I got her. But I would think that by now her feet should have improved. They just don't look right to me and I also think she is stepping toe first. I know it is hard to tell from just a couple of pictures but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know her conformation isn't good but I don't really want any critique on that. There is nothing I can do about her conformation, and it just makes me sad. But I really would like input about her hooves.

It has been about 5 or 6 weeks since her feet were done. She gets done every 7 weeks. She is 19 years old and andalusian/TBH. She recently had a hoof abscess. She is on a hoof supplement as well as other supplements. She eats bermuda grass and triple crown low starch diet. I give her electrolytes daily. Don't know if that information is needed or not. Thank you

waresbear 02-11-2013 04:20 AM

Those are some badly underslung heels! The angle needs to be brought up quite a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

lightning 02-11-2013 04:54 AM

Thank you.

There was a visiting farrier at the ranch yesterday and he was giving a lecture to some 4H kids and my horse was the example of "how not to shoe" and "Why you need to know about horse hooves if you are a horse owner".

I was going to change my farrier 6 months ago but then my trainer spoke so well of him that I didn't. And my vet said he was great as well. Both professionals saw my horse and her hooves and never told me to do anything different. Now I don't know if I have trust in any of them.

Sorry to ramble. I appreciate your opinion.

waresbear 02-11-2013 04:58 AM

I am neither a farrier nor a vet but if it was my horse, I would find different ones. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clava 02-11-2013 05:11 AM

I'm not a farrier or a trimmer,but if those hooves belonged to my horse I would be removing the shoes straight away, firing the farrier, and checking the diet.

Taffy Clayton 02-11-2013 05:39 AM

That first photo.. ...Ouch!!!
That ranks up amongst one of the worst I have seen. Why bother .

Please change farriers. And don't put any stock in what your trainer says either. well. about hooves anyway.

PS I think you have a lovely horse!

Iseul 02-11-2013 06:39 AM

Disgusting. o.o
He's short shod with a toe clip that seems to be digging into his toe wall, not resting against it. His heels are just horrid..I can't even pull out what is exctly wrong.

Fire the dumba$$ and hire the farrier that did the lecture, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

lightning 02-11-2013 08:04 AM

Yeah, I am just sick about it. I mean really sick. I knew there was something wrong. But everyone kept saying that he was doing a good job and that it takes a long time to fix bad feet.

I am thinking about getting rid of all three. The farrier for sure. The vet most definately and the trainer, as much as I liked her, I can no longer value her opinion if she let me continue to use this farrier and she speaks so highly of him.

I am so mad at myself for not realizing there was a huge problem or at least not going with my gut. Everything I read seemed to me, that her feet were not done right. I knew her gait had changed. I can't even imagine what kind of damage has now been done, that will take forever to fix, or at least till she feels better.

My BO recomended him too, and many people at the ranch use him as well and all speak so well of him and praise his work.

The only reason this other farrier was there was because there is a new boarder at the ranch.She is the one who had her farrier look at my horse when he was there doing her horses feet. I was trying to figure out if one of my horses hooves were warmer than the other at the time. Then his looking at my horse turned into a 4H lecture. He wanted to pull the shoes rite then and there but I didn't have the cash on me and I wasn't sure so I thought I would get some opinions.

I will find the money and call him today. My poor horse.

lightning 02-11-2013 08:06 AM

Thank you. I think she is.

Taffy Clayton 02-11-2013 08:09 AM

Good luck to you and your horse you are starting the road to recovery!