The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Problem?? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-problem-153189/)

GOLD1234 02-11-2013 06:27 PM

Hoof Problem??

So i thought i worked my horse too hard and was sore the next day but when the farrier came to do a trim anyways, he noticed an abscess that he then dug out. Horse has still been lame and we are not going on 4 day of soaking in epsom salt. Could it be a bruises hoof or still pain from the abscess?

Goosey 02-11-2013 08:24 PM

Has the abscess actually drained yet, or did the farrier just dig around for it? I've always just used epsom salts to draw the abscess out so wouldnt see any need for it if the abscess is burst already.
If the abscess hasnt drained, your horse will still be in pain. If the farrier dug around too far, the horse could be in pain from that.

SlideStop 02-11-2013 08:32 PM

Give it time. I've seen horses go 4+ weeks with abscesses related troubles. If he is still giving you trouble in another week I'd start asking questions. If you concerned I'd get the vet out.

Also, not to scare you, a friend of mines horse was misdiagnosed with an abscess and it turned out to be founder. They accelerated his founder by soaking in hot water and his coffin bone rotated and fell through.
Posted via Mobile Device

spirit88 02-11-2013 09:33 PM

My gelding had a abcess this summer plus a stone bruise took over a month before he was sound enough to be riden. It took over six weeks so give it more time. My farrier dug out his abcess also think it made him even more lame.

HappyHorse13 02-12-2013 10:23 AM

Sometimes horses can have multiple abscesses. But When my friends horse had an abcess he was lame for a couple of weeks until the whole thing drained and was drawn out from soaking in Epsom salt.