The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Finally going to get a cat! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/finally-going-get-cat-153200/)

Goosey 02-11-2013 08:11 PM

Finally going to get a cat!

So for my entire life, I have wanted a cat. My mum is allergic so that wasnt possible until now!
I am moving out with my fiancÚ and he has agreed that I can get one!
Tell me all about them. The joys of owning one and the not so fun parts.
I have always wanted a cuddly male Ragdoll. I will be getting a kitten :D
Any things that arent common knowledge that I should know?

gigem88 02-11-2013 08:15 PM

My favorite breed are Siamese, they always want to be in your lap but they do tend to talk....a lot.......and loudly at that! I don't know much about Ragdolls, but they are very pretty. Make sure you vaccinate, even if they're indoor cats (you never know!).

LeahKathleen 02-11-2013 08:28 PM

Cats are the best! Ragdolls are wonderful cats -- very sweet and fairly low-energy. They don't climb nearly as much as other cat breeds tend to.

Yes, you should always vaccinate, even indoor-only cats. On that note, some cats do well as indoor-only cats, and others like to be outside. The upside to them being outside is that you don't necessarily need a litter box in the house. The downside is that you never know what could happen to an outdoor cat. :\

Most Ragdolls I've ever met seem to prefer being inside.

Here are some pictures of my kitties. :)

http://i45.tinypic.com/2yws85u.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/96yo1l.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2h3rn68.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2uzbamf.jpg

Sorry for threadjacking! I demand lots of kitten pictures! :) :)

Nightside 02-11-2013 10:03 PM

Haha, I have a male rag doll. He is patient and sweet, though prone to colds and not knowing better when it comes to staying out of reach of dangerous things. I teach my daughter she can't be mean to him (she's a year and a half) but sometimes I do wish he would at least swat her and help the teaching process. Nope. He just lays there like rag dolls do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Goosey 03-13-2013 06:36 AM

LeahKathleen....Those cats! Im going to steal them! Especially the ginger and white. So incredibly cute! Love the pictures :)
Other breeds i love....norwegian forest cats, so **** fluffy!

Faceman 03-13-2013 09:46 AM

Well, I'm not a cat person, although I have had cats, but I'll tell you two things and leave the rest up to others.

First is the "joke", that is not really a joke...a dogs says "My master feeds me and pets me and plays with me - he is god", and a cat says "My master feeds me and pets me and plays with me - I must be god".

Second, be prepared for the "OMG, I'm in the wrong room complex". A cat will be sleeping peacefully, and then all of a sudden jump up and tear-ass to another room - I don't know if it's to avoid armageddon or what...

Cacowgirl 03-13-2013 02:16 PM

Rag dolls are nice cats-especially for indoors. My suggestions-a Cat-tree-the bigger the better, plenty of toys, & the ground level scratching tray-mine all love that. I have 3 house cats, & the the 2 kittens from next door spend most of their time in our yard-this morning they brought over a dead mouse in a trap, so will be giving that back to the neighbors soon. Don't overfeed!

Muppetgirl 03-13-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1935793)
Well, I'm not a cat person, although I have had cats, but I'll tell you two things and leave the rest up to others.

First is the "joke", that is not really a joke...a dogs says "My master feeds me and pets me and plays with me - he is god", and a cat says "My master feeds me and pets me and plays with me - I must be god".

Second, be prepared for the "OMG, I'm in the wrong room complex". A cat will be sleeping peacefully, and then all of a sudden jump up and tear-ass to another room - I don't know if it's to avoid armageddon or what...

Haha ya I'm not a cat person either......

doubleopi 03-16-2013 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I absolutely love my male ragdoll! He always wants to go outside, so we struck a deal, he can go out on the porch, as long as he doesn't jump off and he doesn't try to escape out the doors. :lol:

Getting them as kittens...it (he, you said you want a male) will be absolutely adorable. Ragdolls don't get much color until later...like 6 months and their color darkens for 2 years or so. He will go through a teenager stage!

Here's an interesting article on vaccination. Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Vaccines are very important but do carry risks Something important to remember is that your vet is not necessarily studying current reports on stuff. They are busy, often working with many different species and it is easy to just do things the way they always have been done.

Something else to think about is food. Raw/cooked/home prepared can be the best with some education on the nutritional needs of a cat. But, you can be miles ahead by avoiding grains in food as much as possible. Cats are obligate carnivores and as such are not made to routinely received nutrition from plant sources. Person experience...when I bought my ragdoll, his breeder was feeding Iams. I switched to Blue Buffalo/Nutro/Innova...His coat was rough and not anywhere near as silky and luxurious as a ragdoll's is supposed to be. Now...amazing. I adopted a cat from the local shelter. Obviously they use whatever people will donate but actually prefer a brand where the first two ingrediants are corn products. Her coat was AWFUL! Now, soft, silky and so perfect. She also picked up to a healthy weight. Again, vets will usually reccommend whatever the food company spends their money studying. I read that they don't spend much more than a week or so on nutrition (I have never been to vet school) in their 4+ years. So again, some may stay up to date on this stuff, but many will go along with the norm.

But mostly, you'll love it! I love my cats!

CLaPorte432 03-16-2013 11:54 PM

My favorite cat breeds are the Snowshoe and Bengal. :-)

Also, diet is VERY important with cats. They are CARNIVORES. They need meat and lots of protein, not a diet of fruits, nuts, berries and carbs. Keep that in mind when choosing a food.

Posted via Mobile Device