The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone else not feeling Valentine's Day? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/anyone-else-not-feeling-valentines-day-153206/)

GamingGrrl 02-11-2013 09:17 PM

Anyone else not feeling Valentine's Day?

Just as the title says, this year I'm not really feeling valentines day. It's not that I have some deep dark hatred of it. I'm not against it's capitalistic nature. :lol: I'm not lonely and alone....I'm just so tired and busy lately and the thought of going out to a crowded loud noisy packed resturant for dinner seems horrible!
Unfortunately, my boyfriend isn't on the same wavelength as i am. He's gotten me gifts, which while I really appreciate his thoughtfulness, makes me uncomfortable. We've been dating for a year and a half, but getting gifts from anyone makes me self conscience and uncomfortable for some reason. And I have no idea what he got me, so I might end up buying him something too cheap or too expensive and ughhhh....I'm just not feeling it. It just seems like added stress and now the BF is cranky at me for sharing how I feel.

I'd be perfectly content with a pizza and Netflix stay in date..
So is anyone else out there not feelin the huge displays of pink and red and hearts? :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

tempest 02-11-2013 09:21 PM

I've never really like Valentine's Day, mostly because I've never had plans for it ever. Or any real reason to celebrate it (I'm single, but not always lonely). The usual reasons you listed above.

But this time, for the first time in almost twenty years, I have plans. My date for that night is going to be a Chemistry midterm. Happy freakin' Valentine's Day to me! :D

But hey, they're plans.

smrobs 02-11-2013 09:23 PM

IMHO, VD is hugely over-rated. The way I see it, if you need it to be some designated day in order to do something special for honey, then the relationship is lacking.

FWIW, I don't like X-mas or birthdays either.

GamingGrrl 02-11-2013 09:26 PM

It is a very weird concept for a holiday if you think about it.

Holidays like thanksgiving and Halloween are more my style. I like the fun ones or ones where you're surrounded by family. And gravy. Or candy. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 02-11-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1890077)
IMHO, VD is hugely over-rated. The way I see it, if you need it to be some designated day in order to do something special for honey, then the relationship is lacking..

This.

Also, OP, don't be concerned about the monetary value of the gift. It really is the thought that counts. My ex-husband never got me anything but a dozen yellow roses for any holiday or birthday...ever (except our first Christmas married). He never put in any effort or thought to even get me a card. My boyfriend now doesn't have much money (runs a vending machine business for his mom and she doesn't pay him, really), but he has already done better on gifts and cards in the almost eight months we've been dating than my ex-husband did in three years of marriage. Funny thing is, except the promise ring my boyfriend got me for Christmas and a couple of cards, none of his gifts have cost much (or anything). The point is, as long as the gift is thoughtful and relevant, price doesn't matter. I bought my boyfriend a Troy Aikman jersey for his birthday and a Dallas Cowboys hat for Christmas and he cried when he opened them. Why? Because I took the time to figure out what he would like (we'd only been dating a month and a half when his birthday came around). The two gifts cost me a whopping $40 together (yay eBay!), but they were absolutely perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 02-11-2013 10:01 PM

Everyday is Valentines Day for me, we are so much in love. LOL, whatever, I am with smrobs on this.

nikelodeon79 02-11-2013 10:02 PM

I have never celebrated Valentines Day, regardless of whether or not I have a significant other.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 02-11-2013 10:08 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Ever since we started dating DH & I have stayed in, eaten pizza, watched a movie, and eaten a bag of Reese's together. Very anti VD! No gifts or poetry (gag) or any other baloney!!!

So let him know how you feel, rent some movies, cuddle up and enjoy each other! You pay for take out, maybe new Jammie's, and get the flix. I'm sure he'd be a happy camper!! The best gifts aren't necessarily the ones you exchange!
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 02-11-2013 10:12 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Btw, we're goin to throw down with friends this year! Everyone is sooo excited! Nice dinner at an amazing small bistro and 50 bottles of wine, lol!! Then home to get the kid to bed and do the movie thing, hey, it's tradition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corazon Lock 02-11-2013 11:07 PM

I guess I always liked Valentine's Day when I had a special someone because it felt special - a nice date, a reason to dress up, a day where you should think about the love you have.

This being said, I've been single for 3 years or so now and hate Valentine's Day. At work, we have balloons everywhere in produce, pink candy everywhere, pink and red cards, and flowers - looks like Valentine's Day threw up. Bleah. It also makes me feel a bit lonely. I know everyone says you should enjoy singledom while you can, but I just wish I could get a date...that's normal. The relationship doesn't have to be super serious or anything, but I miss those long talks, the butterflies, the creativity, the trying new things together...yeah, there are things to miss. And I flunked in my last relationship, so I want another chance to really care about another person and make them feel special and do nice little things for them. I mean, I have friends, but there's something about boys.

ANYWAY, on Valentine's Day, I'm going to ride my horse. Sounds good to me.