The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Hip pain (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/hip-pain-153224/)

kavalon 02-12-2013 01:39 AM

Hip pain

Hi :)
When I ride (not everytime) I will be doing a posting trot and all the sudden I get a very shart stabbing pain in my right hip, Its more in the hip flexor it feels like. It doesnt happen immediately it will be probably about 10 mins of non stop posting. I had a pervious knee injury and that cause me to walk differently so now I have bursitis in my hip. But I was wondering if there is anything I can do to limit this pain? It not only hurts while I ride but for like a day or two after. Is there any stretches? Or exercises? That I could do to help with this? Thanks for reading my post :)

tailskidwest 02-12-2013 10:19 AM

Well, after fighting hip pain for two years, I ended up with lower back pain and bursitis in the opposite hip to the point I could barely walk. I was told I needed a hip replacement, but didn't really want to go there. I did go to physical therapy and did the whole hip exercise regiment after a steroid shot to get rid of the bursitis. Really did me good and I got one more summer of riding before my worn out hip hurt so bad I couldn't even sit on a horse. Last September I finally had the hip replaced and four months later I was cleared to ride again. Its going slow getting the strength back in my leg, but I'm comfortable at the walk and posting trot again. Its great to be pain free in the saddle and the best part is my lower back pain is totally gone. Get your hip checked out by a good orthopedic surgeon and I really think doing the physical therapy prior to the hip replacement helped for a quicker recovery. Don't be afraid to let the therapist/surgeon know your ARE going to ride ..... I even helped mine come up with an exercise to specifically work on mounting a horse! Good luck and get yourself checked out. A bum hip will quickly cause other body parts to hurt to the point of ending up completely lame.

Dustbunny 02-12-2013 01:27 PM

Well, I guess the first thing is to find out what is causing the pain..dr visit.

I have no idea how old you are but as I got older I developed some hip discomfort. A joint supplement (and dropping some weight) solved my problem.
Your issue sounds more involved. Good luck. It's hard to enjoy the sport you love when you hurt.

kavalon 02-12-2013 06:09 PM

Im only 19 :( and what supplements work the best?

Saddlebag 02-12-2013 07:22 PM

If your leg isn't relaxed this can cause hip pain. Any tension and pain will show up in the hip, knee or ankle. Why not take a break, remove your feet from the stirrups, roll your feet around and let your legs hand for half a minute. Let's hope that helps. BTW, have someone stand behind you as you ride away at the walk. Wear a belt and tuck your blouse in. The helper is looking to see if you lift one hip and drop the same side shoulder to compensate. Instead of looking like " I" you may be riding like ">". Not good. That could be your problem.

kavalon 02-12-2013 08:23 PM

I'll have to have my trainer look:)

Dustbunny 02-13-2013 02:47 AM

Save the joint supplement idea for 40 years from now. You a baby. : )

Good luck on finding a cause and solution.

stevenson 02-13-2013 06:43 AM

you need to learn to not compensate for the bum knee or you will be a wreck like me when you get older. you can end up with back pain, neck pain , and the other knee giving out . No supplement works for me. You can get condrotion and glucosomine. msm was a waste of time. I hurt my knee 40 yrs ago, had a few surgeries, had a few episodes with it, never the same. Also the less you mess with the joint the better off you are.

livelovelaughride 02-13-2013 12:30 PM

If you're referring to the hip flexor, that pain will be in the front where the leg crease is. It could be anything from a fibrous tendon sheath getting irritated (hence the bursitis), a shortened muscle group (knee injury) pulling on the bony attachments, the bursa itself getting further irritated, the hip capsule itself getting pissy, all the way to what the other posters have mentioned.

Some stretching of the hip flexor is indicated (there are many stretches out there - just don't over arch your back while doing them). Hold your stretches for at least a minute for plastic remodelling, do several times a day but don't stretch in pain. Back off if you feel pain and hold where it feels 'tight'.

Physiotherapy, massage, hellerwork, rolfing are all good ways to reduce the fibrous adhesions which you likely have. Stretch your quads, too, since they contribute to the hip flexion. HTH.

kavalon 02-17-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelovelaughride (Post 1892425)
If you're referring to the hip flexor, that pain will be in the front where the leg crease is. It could be anything from a fibrous tendon sheath getting irritated (hence the bursitis), a shortened muscle group (knee injury) pulling on the bony attachments, the bursa itself getting further irritated, the hip capsule itself getting pissy, all the way to what the other posters have mentioned.

Some stretching of the hip flexor is indicated (there are many stretches out there - just don't over arch your back while doing them). Hold your stretches for at least a minute for plastic remodelling, do several times a day but don't stretch in pain. Back off if you feel pain and hold where it feels 'tight'.

Physiotherapy, massage, hellerwork, rolfing are all good ways to reduce the fibrous adhesions which you likely have. Stretch your quads, too, since they contribute to the hip flexion. HTH.

I think it may be a combination of a few of these. But thanks for the advice :) I hope it helps!