The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Off on front left (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/off-front-left-153259/)

Copperhead 02-12-2013 12:29 PM

Off on front left

I am posting for ideas, since I'm stumped.

On Saturday I noticed Raina took an off step every once in a while when Iseul and I went up to play around with her. It rose some alarm but I did a quick check and nothing seemed out of place or abnormal.

I went up again to see how she was doing and she was noticably off at the trot. She had some good steps in there but it was consistant enough to raise more alarm.

I hopped off of her and checked for any sole soreness. I tapped her soles with the butt end of the hoofpick rather firmly and there was no pain. I squeezed the bulbs of her hooves and she only seemed a little ouchy on the hind left, not the front left (or even the hind right if she was compensating).

Other than that, nothing. I checked her legs for heat, palpated her mucles, took a pulse on both fronts. Everything seemed normal and she didn't even flinch. The one hoof she seemed a tad sore on was the hind left when I squeezed the bulbs, but she wasn't favoring that one.

I'm having her checked by the farrier on Friday. She's due for a trim as it is so we'll kill two birds with one stone.

Any clue as to what might be going on? I'm thinking an abscess thats not sore enough yet to feel bad when I tapped with the hoofpick, but maybe it'll come up when the farrier pressure tests her.

She is barefoot and on pasture board. She doesn't have the typical lamanitis stance and is a good weight.

ETA: When I put her back out in the field she had no problem cantering back to the herd with her ears perked. She wasn't 3 legged lame or anything, just gimped at the trot enough to catch my attention and make me worry.

Freemare 02-12-2013 04:41 PM

She could be sore. Have you ridden her hard at any point? Also do you check for thrush? As she is due for a trim it could be she is long in the toe to she not breaking over and its making her sore. She could be stiff if its super cold. There could be lots of reasons why she is doing that. So once the farrier comes and he trims her and she does not get any better I would give the vet a call. You never know.

Copperhead 02-12-2013 05:24 PM

Thanks. I haven't ridden her hard at all lately. The most I would have ridden her was on a 30 minute trail maybe 2 weeks ago. It was snowy and very slick though. I went up on Saturday to see her and trot her around and then went up again to confirm.

It could have been that short trail with the slick footing. I'm going to ask the farrier what her opinion was when she comes up. Her frogs are pretty soft from standing in mud since the snow thawed. The entire pasture is a big field of wet mud. We had a lot of snow fall and it thawed out within a day. They aren't knee-deep in it, but the ground is very soft no matter where you step, and its a pretty large field. Though her frogs were soft, I was picking and poking at them with the pick without a reaction.

I'm hoping the trim will shed some light on why she's sore. The farrier there is pretty decent so we'll see what she says.

Freemare 02-12-2013 06:18 PM

It sounds like she could have thrush. It could be deep down in the frog and you may not see it. If you can, do you have stall or some place that she can stand without mud?

Copperhead 02-12-2013 06:28 PM

Unfortunately theres no where I can put her without raising the board over half of what I'm already paying. If the lameness is due to thrush, I'll have to battle it the hard way until the ground dries up. That will be a fun spring!