The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   First critique, flatwork pic =] (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/first-critique-flatwork-pic-%3D%5D-153294/)

BeachinIt 02-12-2013 07:04 PM

First critique, flatwork pic =]

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! I finally got the guts to post a picture...hopefully you can tell me some things from it! Things that I see:

I'm tilted forward.
My hands look too open.
It looks like I have too much contact, pulling her mouth back and causing her to be tense.

Thanks for any insight you can give me! I'm really trying to work on not letting my position fall apart as I ride. i tend to get focused on one thing, like half halting or supporting with my outside rein, and forget about everything else!

waresbear 02-12-2013 07:08 PM

Pretty good leg position, but if you sit deeper into your seat and bring your shoulders back and relax them, your hand position will improve. Good job!

JustDressageIt 02-12-2013 07:11 PM

Cute horse!!!
The thing that stands out to me is that your leg is too far back - and I feel your pain as I'm guilty of the same. Your toe should be at the front of the girth, and heel under your hip.
The horse is not tracking up and is heavy on the forehand, and needs to learn how to rock back on his hindquarters, support himself through his back and abs, and lift through the shoulder. Right now you can tell that he's pulling through the bit and keeping heavy contact.
That saddle really isn't doing any good for either of you...

BeachinIt 02-12-2013 07:16 PM

Thank you both! I know, that saddle definitely doesnt help! I'm so used to riding in a dressage saddle, and switching to that (which also looks too small!) has been tough :) And I think I've always been so afraid of getting a chair seat that I've gone too far in the other direction. I'll work on what you both said. Anyone else want to add anything? :)

Skyseternalangel 02-13-2013 02:11 AM

I actually like your contact however since your saddle is too small and forcing you into a half seat.. you're leaning on your hands.. which is probably why your horse is tense.

Time for a new saddle, pronto!

BeachinIt 02-13-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1892104)
I actually like your contact however since your saddle is too small and forcing you into a half seat.. you're leaning on your hands.. which is probably why your horse is tense.

Time for a new saddle, pronto!

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I definitely see that. This is actually a lesson horse and her saddle, so I'll try to compare my position in this saddle to my own.

Wolfetrap 02-13-2013 08:46 AM

Good job!!!!! Just a few tweeks I would point out...I would drop into your heel a ton more. That will get you to engage your lower leg so you're not pitching with your knee and you'll get more into your inner thigh. A stronger lower leg will help you get her off your hand. Think wrapping your legs around her barrel. Open your shoulders a bit more and use a lot of stomach muscles, again that will help lift her off your hand. Watch that diagnal. I LOVE the line of your arms, beautifully straight from elbow to horse's mouth!!!!!!! Keep that beautiful line and soft hands!!!!

BeachinIt 02-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfetrap (Post 1892241)
Good job!!!!! Just a few tweeks I would point out...I would drop into your heel a ton more. That will get you to engage your lower leg so you're not pitching with your knee and you'll get more into your inner thigh. A stronger lower leg will help you get her off your hand. Think wrapping your legs around her barrel. Open your shoulders a bit more and use a lot of stomach muscles, again that will help lift her off your hand. Watch that diagnal. I LOVE the line of your arms, beautifully straight from elbow to horse's mouth!!!!!!! Keep that beautiful line and soft hands!!!!

Thank you! It looks like I'm focusing too much on her head and my hands and I need to shift the/some focus to my legs and body. I'll be working on that :)
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 02-13-2013 03:22 PM

A video will tell more. That is a split second only, so hard to make any real judgements. Your elbow , wrist line is good, but it looks like you are cocking your wrists a bit, maybe "fiddling" with the rein trying to get horse to lower her head, and horse is being resistant to this? that'sa guess one makes by a photo, that could be right or so wrong. a video would clarify that.

BeachinIt 02-13-2013 03:27 PM

Thanks! I'll try to find someone who could videotape me..
Posted via Mobile Device