The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Best Time to Buy a Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/best-time-buy-horse-153303/)

faiza425 02-12-2013 09:01 PM

Best Time to Buy a Horse?

Is there a certain level of riding/horse knowledge that you should pass before buying a horse?
Like, clearly I get that you should be able to ride all gaits and be able to tell if your horse is sick, but is there a way to know when you're ready to purchase? Do you just know, or is there a point where you have just accumulated enough knowledge to own one?
Also, when did you buy your first horse? Was it too early (ex. getting a pony for Christmas when you were little) or was your horse too green for you?
Thanks in advance! :D

hemms 02-12-2013 09:29 PM

Most critical is buying the right horse for your level, physically and mentally. To do this, you cannot be in a hurry or swept up by pretty looks, a good deal, etc. Best to have an objective knowledgeable shopping buddy.

With the right support network (a decent barn owner if you're boarding, a coach or trainer) can really make it a success.

I slaved and worked in many barns as a child/youth. Worked with horses as a guide and trainer, too. Bought my first horse after over 20 years in the culture... Only because no one was going to buy one for me and that's when I could afford to care for one. 10 years and 3 wonderful horses later, and I'm ecstatic to say not only am I still going strong, but I've been hurt far less since owning my own mounts!

Buy with your head and your gut. In fact, put your heart away until 6-8 months after you've brought your new buddy home. You'll need to assert yourself during the settling-in period.
Posted via Mobile Device

hemms 02-12-2013 09:31 PM

Oh! And take good pictures of your prospects! I can't tell you how much I missed about horses when I was right in front of them. Photos don't lie! Video, too!
Posted via Mobile Device

jcraig10 02-13-2013 08:09 PM

Glad that you asked this question, as I am wondering the same thing!...just commenting so I can read the replies :D