The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   A feed that adds some pep? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feed-adds-some-pep-153310/)

tseluyu dylan 02-12-2013 10:15 PM

A feed that adds some pep?

I was curious if any of you could suggest a grain to give my horse some energy during the warmer weather. He loves his feed for winter, it keeps him calm but in the summer/spring or whenever it starts warming up his energy level drops and he is not too excited about being put to work.

Any suggestions?

Phly 02-12-2013 10:24 PM

I'm not sure feed would be the direct answer. If he's healthy weight and in good physical shape, I don't think I'd push more calories just to add a lil zip to him. They tend to be a lil more spunky when its cold naturally. If I were going to up anything, I'd up hay or quality of hay. But only if needed to maintain body conditions. May just be a lil lazy when its warmer out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 02-12-2013 10:55 PM

Do you think it could be dropping due to low levels of something in his diet? Maybe he isn't drinking enough water or has a deficiency...

I would check it out.. before I assume things.... and try to add more "energy" with a feed.

tseluyu dylan 02-12-2013 11:00 PM

Your pinto horse in your icon is adorable! What breed?

I am hoping to balance out what he is eating, I am worried he may be deficient in something. What is the recommended balance of crude protein and fat?

MyBoyPuck 02-12-2013 11:00 PM

My horse had Erlichiosis two years in a row, and it seems to create a low grade lethargy in him every summer. I tried Smart Energy last year and it really seemed to help without turning him into a nut.

Skyseternalangel 02-13-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tseluyu dylan (Post 1891873)
Your pinto horse in your icon is adorable! What breed?

I am hoping to balance out what he is eating, I am worried he may be deficient in something. What is the recommended balance of crude protein and fat?

Can you describe your horse's current diet?

~~

Thanks :) He is a Dutch Warmblood X Paint. He is 16.2 (remeasured him while I was home)

OutOfTheLoop 02-13-2013 03:39 AM

Have you tried adding a b12 supplement to his diet?
Posted via Mobile Device

tseluyu dylan 02-13-2013 08:28 PM

other than hay he eats a training dose of Dynamite and a cup of blue rider feed... the blue rider cooled him down a lot in winter when he usually bounces off the walls.