The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help! Should I be concerned? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-should-i-concerned-153313/)

danielleemegann 02-12-2013 10:40 PM

Help! Should I be concerned?

2 Attachment(s)
My Arabian mare (16 years old) cut her leg on a fence on Sunday. Ive kept the wound clean, put medicine on it, and have been using the hose 30 minutes a day to work on the swelling. Besides that, today I noticed that her teats looked different. Is this normal or what?

**not sure if she has ever had a foal. I bought her 3 years ago from a rescue.

Skyseternalangel 02-12-2013 10:46 PM

Did you ever seek the vet's advice on the leg wound? Or have them out?

Copperhead 02-12-2013 11:28 PM

Depending on the area of the cut and the severity, a vet might not be needed. I never call a vet for a cut unless it needs stitches. In the event of a wound that can't be stitched, I treat it like an open wound and just pick up antibiotics from the vet since I already know what he'd say. I'm guessing the OP noticed the swollen teet when she was doctoring the leg and just happened to look up.

I can't offer help on the teet topic. I'm curious what others will say.

danielleemegann 02-12-2013 11:28 PM

I called our vet and she has been swamped with appointments. She told me to keep it clean and if the swelling doesnt go down, then to make an appt. The first day she favored that leg. but now she seems to be walking on it fine. Should I keep it bandaged? I feel the best is to let it breathe and keep flies and dirt from it

Copperhead 02-12-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielleemegann (Post 1891911)
I called our vet and she has been swamped with appointments. She told me to keep it clean and if the swelling doesnt go down, then to make an appt. The first day she favored that leg. but now she seems to be walking on it fine. Should I keep it bandaged? I feel the best is to let it breathe and keep flies and dirt from it

It depends on the cut itself. Can't really offer advice on the cut if we can't see it.

Is the cut anywhere near the teet? Or is the teet something totally different?

danielleemegann 02-12-2013 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the first day of the cut before I cleaned it off, on sunday morning. I will take a photo of the cut tomorrow to show the difference.

danielleemegann 02-12-2013 11:34 PM

I am asking about the teet, not the cut. If I get advice on both, great. But the teet is what I am wondering about. If this is something to be concerned about. She isnt acting any different at all.

Copperhead 02-12-2013 11:37 PM

I'm curious about the teet as well. I was asking where the cut was in case for some reason it was causing the teet to swell.

I wouldn't wrap the cut. It should heal just fine if you take care of it, though it is on the side of the swollen teet.

If you squeeze the teet, is it sore or does she react? Any heat in it?

danielleemegann 02-12-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1891927)
I'm curious about the teet as well. I was asking where the cut was in case for some reason it was causing the teet to swell.

I wouldn't wrap the cut. It should heal just fine if you take care of it, though it is on the side of the swollen teet.

If you squeeze the teet, is it sore or does she react? Any heat in it?

I didnt notice any heat, I will be sure to check tomorrow. When I touched it she didnt react at all. The only thing she reacts to is her leg. When I water her leg or touch it she holds it up. Not to kick, she just holds it in the air. and once im done she puts it down or after 15 minutes she puts it down.

stevenson 02-12-2013 11:42 PM

Teat , is there discharge ever ? hot ? hard ? lumpy? if any of those call the VEt.