The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Interested in my horses conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/interested-my-horses-conformation-153325/)

kiwi79 02-13-2013 03:54 AM

Interested in my horses conformation

4 Attachment(s)
Hi
I do not know that much about conformation and as I just ride for pleasure it is not a big issue for me but am curious to get some thoughts on how Blue is put together. He is an approx 18 y/o clydie cross 15.3hh, we are working on his weight issues right now so I know that he could do with losing a bit! Not the prettiest of horses but he is solid and dependable :-)

Apologies for the poor pics, probably not the best as not standing square. Any critiques welcome on my old fella!

kiwi79 02-13-2013 04:03 AM

Also - I was just looking at the second pic, does he have something wierd going on with his neck or is that normal?!

stevenson 02-13-2013 06:19 AM

His weight looks okay, cute draft x. He toes a little in front . He may be a little sickle hocked. but he looks really sturdy and cute. Being a draft cross he will always look a little chunky. He is uber cute .

lilruffian 02-13-2013 11:31 AM

Shoulder angle is a bit steep but he has a decent neck set
Front legs seem ok in those pictures
Back is not a bad length, though he appears there to be bum high
Hindquarters could use proper muscling but they are shaped alright
And as stevenson said, he is slightly sickle-hocked

kiwi79 02-13-2013 09:22 PM

Thanks for your thoughts! Yeah, he has a pretty well padded butt and does look a bit bum high sometimes. Not sure if that is just because of the bit of extra weight he's carrying there right now. Have just read up on sickle hocks which was interesting. Its nice to hear that his weight isnt too bad, we are in a bad drought right now but have kept them in the same paddock for a few months to restrict their grass - I must be one of the few people around here that still has tons of spring grass because I dont want them on the long stuff. Have to work out how to get rid of it because its too steep to mow :? Need some cows!
Also nice to hear that someone thinks he's cute, sometimes I find myself pining over pictures of pretty TBs or arabians etc but at least with him I know I'm unlikely to end up in the dirt!

DraftyAiresMum 02-13-2013 09:56 PM

Love me a big draft cross! He reminds me a lot of my boy (Percheron/paint cross) in build. I second what the others have pointed out. He looks like a good, solid, useable horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

PreciousPony 02-15-2013 07:24 PM

Very cute horse :)

First of all, get rid of that hay belly! Next, it looks like he is a bit downhill, but it could be the uneven ground. His neck looks low set, which may make him have a tendency to be on the forehand. He's got a nice shoulder angle and good short pasterns. Front legs look a little post-legged, and his back looks long. Hindquarters look nice and powerful! Nothing really glaringly bad abut him at all.

DraftyAiresMum 02-15-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreciousPony (Post 1896211)
Front legs look a little post-legged.

Curious what you mean by this. I've heard the term used to describe the hind leg angles being straight through the hocks, but have never heard it applied to the front legs.
Posted via Mobile Device

EmilyJoy 02-15-2013 07:51 PM

I kinda think the spots are making his bum look higher then what it really is.. Just my 2c

PreciousPony 02-15-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1896215)
Curious what you mean by this. I've heard the term used to describe the hind leg angles being straight through the hocks, but have never heard it applied to the front legs.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess it's not really correct to use "post legged" as a description for the front legs. I meant they look too straight. Back at the knee or camped under is what I should have said. It's hard to tell with these pictures though because he's not standing truly square in any of them.